Bulldogs sweep Providence, earn second Big East win

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler volleyball team brought out the brooms this weekend, sweeping rival Providence at Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday. Freshman Anna Logan led the Bulldogs with 13 kills in the Bulldogs’ three-set win over Providence. Logan also added four blocks.

The 25-16, 25-11, 27-25 victory was Butler’s first home Big East win for the season. The Bulldogs boosted their record to 5-10 on the season and 2-1 in the conference.

“It was a big win for us, and to do it in three at home for Homecoming was great,” Head Coach Sharon Clark said. “The girls are getting after it, and should feel really good about it.”

Butler put on a defensive showcase for its home fans. The Bulldogs posted four times as many blocks as the Friars, finishing with 12. Freshman Makaila Jarema led the blocking brigade with seven, improving her total to 40 for the year.

“We blocked really well,” freshman Briana Lilly said. “We picked up balls we usually let fall. We’re focusing on tightening up our defense and speeding up our offense.”

Clark remains impressed with her young team’s grit and determination.

“A lot of it is learning on the job,” Clark said. “We have got a lot of players who are young and they are learning on the job, but it’s fun to see them really start to get it.”

The Bulldogs will pack their bags for Milwaukee as they face the Marquette Golden Eagles on Wednesday, Sept. 30. The Golden Eagles stand at 9-5 on the season and hold a 1-1 record in the Big East.

“We are glad we pulled through [today],” Lilly said. “We are hoping to get some huge wins early in the season.”