Alpha Chi S’mores raises money to fight domestic violence

ALEX TARNOWSKI | CULTURE REPORTER

Butler University’s Alpha Chi Omega held its annual kick-off event, Alpha Chi Omega S’mores, last week to support the fight against domestic violence.

Proceeds of the event benefit the sorority’s national philanthropy, the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation, which aims to both bring awareness to and resolve the issues surrounding domestic violence.

Genevieve Ferris, Devon Roese, and Madison Sauerteig hand out s’mores toppings such as Hershey’s chocolate, Reese’s, and Kit Kats.

Genevieve Ferris, Devon Roese, and Madison Sauerteig hand out s’mores toppings such as Hershey’s chocolate, Reese’s, and Kit Kats. Photo by Amy Street

Alpha Chi Omega S’mores is the first philanthropy event of the fall semester. Each participating member who came out to support the cause paid $1 for two s’mores, which Alpha Chi Omega then donates to its national philanthropy.

“The event brings together alumni, the Greek community, the first-year students and many other members of Butler’s student body,” said Robyn Jutsum, a sister of Alpha Chi Omega.

“Having a charitable event such as Alpha Chi Omega’s S’mores is a great way for first-year girls to attend an on-campus event with the new friends they have made after only a week on campus,” Madison Stefanski, a first-year student, said. She continued, elaborating that “It allows a new student to get acquainted with the Greek system at Butler. It is a great way to have fun, all while supporting a great cause.”

Domestic violence is far too often an issue that falls into silence, and S’mores helps to raise the problem out of the margins and into the forefront of society’s concerns.

“Alpha Chi Omega loves doing this,” said Paige Haefer, a sister of Alpha Chi Omega and Vice President of Philanthropy. “Not only is it a great way to bring campus together, but it also has a bigger purpose: to raise both awareness and funding to be donated to the national fight against domestic violence.”