Study abroad series: First impressions

KATIE GOODRICH | STAFF REPORTER

Sophomore Erin O’Neil celebrated her 20th birthday in style: She flew to Rome.

O’Neil is a Butler University student studying abroad with the Global Adventures in the Liberal Arts program. She will travel to various Western European cities throughout the semester while taking core curriculum classes.

On the morning of her birthday in the Central European Time Zone, six hours ahead of Indianapolis time, she celebrated by sitting on a plane for more than eight hours. At the end of the flight, she was rewarded with a smooth landing into the Italian sunrise.

“I was worried it wouldn’t feel like my birthday,” O’Neil said. “I don’t need to be the center of attention or anything, but I do want the day to feel special. And it was the best birthday present I have ever gotten.”

O’Neil was especially excited to start her adventure in Rome, since it is high on her “must-see” travel list. However, she and the city of eternal light did not get off on the right foot. Her expectations for Rome were as high as the AirBus she flew in on, but the city initially fell short.

“McDonald’s, sadly, was my first impression,” O’Neil chuckled with a guilty look on her face. “The first thing I saw was three of them, and it was really sad.”

Her grandiose expectations included beautiful architecture and picturesque landscapes.

“I barely felt like I left the country,” she said.

The next day, the GALA group took a four-hour tour around the city, and O’Neil felt better about the city. After seeing typical tourist attractions, historic sites and sampling authentic food, she had a whole new perspective.

“I am in a spectacular country,” she said. “Not just another one that has fallen to capitalism. The tour brought me the uniqueness of the city I was expecting.”

1. Lindy Smith said:

Rome is one incredible city which is vivacious and indeterminate which has ample exercises for all age bunches. Check all at http://www.triphobo.com/rome-italy

Christmas is one of the top festivals in Rome. Piazza Navona is one Christmas market which denoted my celebration finish by investigating it. I had the opportunity to view and respect the immense, exquisite Christmas trees. The “presepi” scenes were assembled which was one of the customs in Rome’s Christmas. I went to the mass in St. Basilica which was an unique mass in Italy.

One of the busiest spell to visit Rome is amid Holy week and Easter of April. Since the exercises of Easter are driven by Pope in Rome, it is checked to be a standout amongst the most noteworthy celebrations there.

June is an alternate month for impressive occasions and exercises. The city’s Rose enclosure which is a celebrated around the world one is interested in the general population amid May and June.