Home is where the heart is

CAMERON ALFORD | STAFF REPORTER

Bailey McGrady, a third-year pharmacy major, came to Butler University from Hillsboro, Indiana, “home of 600 happy people and a few ol’ soreheads.” Her hometown is less than one-fifth the size of Butler.

Although Hillsboro is incredibly small, she said the town helped her transition into Butler’s culture academically and socially.

Because of this, McGrady said she feels comfortable going to her professors’ office hours to talk about anything.

For Jayd Calvillo, a sophomore theatre major from Kentland, Indiana, the Butler community has given her a greater sense of self. While most of her classmates went to other schools in Indiana, Calvillo was the only one that came to Butler.

She described the realization of coming to Butler by herself as “terrifying.”

Nevertheless, she knew Butler was the place for her.

As a freshman Calvillo got involved in campus organizations. One of her favorites was Filmmakers Anonymous. There, she took the chance to express her creativity in film as opposed to on stage.

Now that she has found her niche, Calvillo said Butler helped her find positive things about herself.

“I can be anyone,” she said. “There is no one holding me back.”

But for Leah Basford, a freshman marketing major and Chinese minor from Centerville, Indiana, Butler represents a special connection.

Basford was adopted from China when she was 6 months old. She was raised by two Caucasian parents. She has a younger brother, who was adopted from Guatemala, and an older sister.

“A lot of people look at our family like it is really strange,” she said. The difference in appearance among her parents and her siblings is conspicuous.

From Butler to Centerville, Basford said her hometown was not as diverse as the university.

She said Butler is very diverse compared to what she was used to back home.

Basford said she is also happy with her experience at Butler because she has the opportunity to study Chinese. She said studying the language at the university helped her stay connected with her roots.

Her high school did not offer courses in the language.

Growing up in a small town has its advantages and disadvantages. In Calvillo’s opinion, transitioning from a small town to Butler is a comfortable transition because “you never really feel alone.”

Butler’s cultural identity is growing every day, and there are a lot of different reasons for why students choose Butler University to call home. But, as Basford pointed out, “you don’t have to be the same to get along and work well together.”