Crime stats a mixed bag

MARAIS JACON-DUFFY | EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Butler University, along with all other colleges and universities in the U.S., released their 2013 crime and safety report this week in accordance with the Clery Act.

Butler’s report, titled “2013 Comprehensive Combined Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report” included crime and safety procedures at Butler, policies, resources for help, a description of the Clery Act and crime statistics from 2011, 2012 and 2013. The report was emailed to students, faculty and staff on Monday.

Butler saw no reports of murder, manslaughter, robbery, aggravated assault, arson, statutory rape, incest, domestic violence or stalking in 2013, according to the report.

Burglary numbers decreased by almost 25 percent in 2013-—burglaries are down from 17 reports in 2012 to four reports in 2014.

Hate crimes, drug violations reported to student affairs and weapons arrests remained similar from 2012 to 2013.

Statistics for drug arrests and car theft doubled from 2012 to 2013.

Liquor law arrests and liquor law violations sent to student affairs continue to increase over the years.

Liquor law arrests increased from 24 arrests in 2011 to 36 arrests in 2012 to 51 arrests in 2013. Liquor law violations s increased from 175 arrests in 2011 to 224 arrests in 2012 to 276 arrests in 2013. In these cases, the individual was referred to students affairs.

Rape statistics maintained the 3-year average with three rapes documented in the 2013 report. There was one report of forcible fondling in 2013, the only one between 2011 and 2013.

Crime statistics were specified by location, including crimes reported at on-campus residential facilities, “other” on-campus locations, non-campus property and public property. An email from Butler’s Department of Public Safety said the report took into account “the property adjacent to the campus.”

Statistics for the report were compiled from Butler University Police Department, Indiana State Excise Police  and the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

The Clery Act, originally known as the Campus Security Act, was passed in 1990.

The law requires colleges and universities to have a public crime log, disclose crime statistics for incidents that occur on or near campus and issue timely warnings about criminal activities.

1. Eliza Quincey said:

The rape statistics are a lie. Anyone who believes them is merely succumbing to Butler’s lack of involvement and proactivity in the issue. I am disgusted. Butler University is not as safe as these numbers make it seem. Also, Butler University’s Clery Act was not publicly released for multiple years. This was vehemently brought into question when I went public about my particular case. OH and fun fact. I, Eliza Quincey was raped off campus. But that’s not in that neat little chart now is it?
    Eliza Quincey is also currently suing Butler University under Title IX Violations.
    Thank you for your consideration.