Get Over Post-Break Woes

MORGAN LEGEL | Columnist

Spring break is not forever.  Students don’t get to stay in exotic locations and live on the beach.

We come back to campus, and so do our teachers, many of whom have jumped right back into busy academic schedules. After all, spring break only lasts a week.

But is one week enough?

Teachers see the week of spring break as a time to load students up on homework, as if we still had class all week.

Personally, I had six interviews to do, and an article to write from these interviews, as well as two research papers.

Sophomore Meghan Pearsall believes that, for professors, spring break doesn’t exsist.

“I think the professors were catching up on a lot of the time they missed,” she said.

If students were going to be given so much homework over spring break, isn’t it reasonable to conclude that there should be more time to complete these assignments?

I say we should deal with the cards we’re dealt with instead.

First, students have to realize they are going to school to learn,  graduate and move into the real world.

In this sense, there should be no spring break at all. In the real world, there are no spring breaks to be had.

Some workplaces give vacation days, but when you come back from that vacation, no one completed your work for you while you were gone.

You have to catch up on all that work while completing the new week’s work.

We are not yet fully prepared to enter the real world. But coming back to work to be done is a way to prepare us for that world.

We all must recognize that we are all working towards one common goal-—to be ready for the real world.

The moral of the story is that, yes, one week of spring break is enough. Students should be very thankful for this small break that we are given.