Ditch the dorm – get dinner for two

MORGAN LEGEL | Columnist

A candlelit dinner for two, a walk through a park at night, and a romantic movie. These dates may seem cliché, but they are classic.

However, a lot of students do not experience dates like these, or dates in general, while attending college.

Butler, along with other universities, has developed a “hook-up” culture that suppresses the old-fashioned ideas of courtship.

Having fun and staying casual is not a bad idea by any means. In fact, the culture of universities points more toward casual relationships.

The downfall is that, because of the exposure of this new culture, some students do not know how to date or what is appropriate.

Dating does not have to mean going to a fancy restaurant or finding a park to take a midnight stroll in. There just needs to be some effort put in from both parties.

Think of a creative and inexpensive idea, such as going to the food court at the mall. Grab some food and then people-watch. Or think of a fun idea such as going to a sporting event. Just make an effort.

It seems that more and more, instead of making an effort, students are just casually hooking up and not getting into serious relationships.

“I feel like, maybe, some people just don’t want the time commitment right now,” sophomore Melanie Shrontz said. “Maybe also, they just want to go out and have some fun now while they’re younger.”

This fun, casual hook-up culture takes away from the chance to genuinely get to know someone. Instead, the focus is on hooking up and not properly dating.

Furthermore, I believe there is a relationship between this emerging culture and a decline in marriages.

According to a study done by The Huffington Post, marriage rates are at a historic low.

Not only are fewer people getting married, but people are getting married at an older age.

The age of marriage was once early-20s, but lately the average age has been increasing toward the  upper-20s  and 30s.

I grew up picturing myself getting married to my college sweetheart. My bridesmaids would be a mix of childhood friends and college favorites.

However, now this is a difficult concept for me to grasp.

How can I develop a meaningful relationship that will help me decide my marital fate if I am living in a constant hook-up culture that contradicts it?

Personally, I have not found this to be possible as of yet.

There are a few tips that I follow to help me get one step closer to that meaningful relationship.

First, if you do, in fact, want to go on a date with someone, do not text the person. Call him or her instead.

Second, hanging out in a dorm room is not a date—it is a friendly hangout.

And finally, the magic rule: If a hookup is not what you actually want, do not put yourself in the position for the encounter to turn into one.