SGA rollover account used to fund campus projects

Every year, the Student Government Association puts together a budget based on the portion of the student activity fee it receives each year.
Although SGA intends to use the entire $288 student activity fee, there is usually money left over from the budget that goes into the rollover account. Most SGA committees usually finish the school year without using all of their budgets.
“Programming is based on availability,” said Caroline Huck-Watson, PuLSE Office Director and SGA faculty adviser. “There are a lot of factors that are unknown in any given year.”
The inconsistencies in planning events create a variable amount of spare money going into the account each year. As the amount builds over time, SGA executive members plan capital projects to use the money.
Using SGA money to complete these projects cuts out the red tape of having to work with Butler administration, SGA President Mike Keller said.
“Our student government has more money than the student governments of some state schools,” Keller said.
The extra money allows SGA to complete these large projects both now and in the future, he said.
“Exec board and CPA (Council on Presidential Affairs) and SGA are looking at needs they’re hearing from students and how might they be able to meet some of those needs,” Watson said.
In the past, the rollover account was used for the bike share program, Brita filters, the outdoor classroom spaces and, most recently, the patio being built between Gallahue and Holcomb.
The executive board discusses a few ideas, but it also leaves money so future executive boards can do those types of projects as new ideas come up, Watson said.
CPA usually runs on a $22,000 budget, so it relies on money from the rollover account to take care of bigger projects and concerns, said Scott Nemeth, vice president of administration.
“You have a safety net you can use on having an impact and making something better,” Nemeth said.
Even if the rollover money were applied to next year’s budget, the student fee would be relatively similar, he said. The account is used to address student concerns that come up throughout the year that were not necessarily within the budget.
“It’s still going to do projects that benefit students,” Nemeth said. “The benefits outweigh the cost.”