Opinion | Value of Degree Increasing

A Butler degree means a lot in the real world.
“Even though The Butler Way wasn’t as prominent when I was in school, aspects of it were definitely prevalent in my college career and continue to be in my work career,” alumna Leslie Hoggatt said.
Hoggatt graduated in 2004 with degrees in administration and flute performance.

She also suggested students stay in touch with Butler professors because they will continue to be resources for years to come.
“Even nine years after graduating, I still call former professors for favors or to get advice about something I am working on,” she said.
Jen Money-Brady attended school full time with 18 to 20 credit hours per semester. She was able to do this because of her psychology advisers. She also worked full time at a bank while going to school.
Money-Brady graduated in 2005 with a degree in psychology and minors in Spanish and education. She graduated from Butler in 2008 with a master’s degree in school counseling.
“I hope I’m impacting the world in many ways based on the great research skills that were instilled in me as a psych major,” she said.
She recently earned an award from the Indiana School Counselor Association for Indiana Exemplary High School Counselor of the Year. She said this is a testament to the great education and life Butler provided.
“I would not have been nominated for this award without my Butler education, experience and, most importantly, professors,” Money-Brady said.
She advised students get a job while in college because the experience will help improve interviewing skills.
“It will help you see the real world,” she said.
Currently, she works in admissions at Brebeuf Jesuit, her high school alma mater.
“Our entire academic counseling department attended Butler for their masters’ in school counseling, so Butler is highly respected at Brebeuf,” Money-Brady said.
She said the motto from freshman orientation should ring true even through graduate school: People get out of it what they put in it.
Freshman Molly McLoughlin is a double major in political science and psychology.
McLoughlin’s career goals are to work in health insurance and be a lobbyist or use her political science background  toward doing work with the media.
“I want Butler to provide me with the necessary qualifications and numerous roads to lead me to be successful in my degrees,” she said.
Tyler Trueg graduated in 2011 with a pharmacy degree and  MBA.
“By having the opportunity to pursue two different degrees, I was able to take a more unique career path,” he said.
Trueg said the friends he made at Butler really made a difference after graduation.
“I have friends who went to larger schools, and they mostly come out with a small group of friends they stuck with during school,” he said.  “Since Butler is set up like a small community, I have found that it doesn’t matter if you were friends or not.  Once a Bulldog, always a Bulldog.”
He said students need to utilize the services Butler has to offer and leverage Butler’s alumni network.
“Take advantage of the fact that Butler is a close-knit community,” Trueg said.  “You would be surprised how much the connection of having a Butler degree means.”
He currently works at Eli Lilly and Co., designing study protocols and providing enrollment projections for oncology clinical trials.
Becky Ruby-Wojtowicz earned degrees in journalism and public relations and in arts and administration in 2005.
“It led me down a very interesting path,” she said.
She currently owns her own business in event and wedding planning and a formal design shop.
“When I graduated, the career I love was not even on my radar,” Ruby-Wojtowicz said.  “Some figure it out early, and others won’t.”
She said students should never stress about changes in their careers or majors.
“Don’t feel you have to figure to figure it out when your are 18 or 19 years old,”  Ruby-Wojtowicz said.
“I had to do some searching of my own during my freshman year. Ultimately, I am glad that I decided to come back to Butler.”
The real world is coming soon for most seniors, which scares me a bit since that  will make me a senior in college.
With Butler constantly switching to bigger and more recognizable athletic conferences the Butler is on it s way to becoming a household name. This will only increase and improve Butler alumna’s chances of getting better opportunities post graduation.
Underclassmen need to be prepared for their time as seniors. They do not have to know where their degrees will take them, but they should know the world is always changing, and they should be prepared for that next step in  The Butler Way.