From diapers to the diamond

Last year, the brothers, from Miami, Fla., started playing baseball together for the first time since Marcos’ sophomore year of high school.

“We had a great year that year, and we both played very well,” Lucas said. “We went deep into the playoffs, and we were like, ‘Man, if we can do this again for college, we’ll do it.’”

Lucas, a senior at Butler, played at Saint Louis University his first two collegiate years and jumped at the opportunity to transfer to Butler and play with his brother.

“Ever since we were little, we wanted to play college baseball together,” Lucas Calderon said. “We talked to (Butler) Coach (Steve) Farley over the phone, and he seemed like a good guy, and he gave us the opportunity to play.”

The elder Calderon sat out his junior season, giving him the opportunity to watch his brother play his freshman season.

In 2012, they played together for Butler, as well as for the Licking County Settlers of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League.

Lucas said he was fortunate to be able to guide his brother through his freshman year.

“Freshman year is always a tough transition, especially moving from Florida to the Midwest,” Lucas said. “That was pretty cool to see him and how he developed through his freshman year.”

Marcos said the first time he heard about Butler was when he was watching Butler’s basketball team play in the Final Four while on a travel baseball trip in high school.

“A couple weeks later, I got in contact with these coaches, and they wanted to see if I could bring my talents here to Indianapolis,” he said.

He said they asked him and his brother about the opportunity to play together, and it was something they couldn’t pass up.

Junior infielder and teammate Marco Caponi has one word to describe the brothers: “goofballs.”

“That’s about the best way I can describe them,” Caponi said. “They’re always laughing and having a good time, and they’re awesome to be around.”

Caponi said the brothers are always competing and trying to outdo each other, but they also pull for each other to do well.

“I have a younger brother, so I’m also jealous of these guys,” Caponi said.

Caponi said it’s fun to see them play together and have a good time.

“Sometimes, you’ll hear Spanish every now and again,” Caponi said. “They’ll crack jokes, and nobody knows what they’re saying, but they obviously do.”

Marcos said sometimes they talk to each other in Spanish on the field, giving them an extra connection.

“We don’t have to give each other the normal baseball signs,” Marcos said. “We speak in a coded language, so that’s pretty cool.”

Lucas said in one game over the summer, he was standing on second base and saw the catcher calling for a curve ball. He relayed that in Spanish to his brother, and he was able to get an RBI.

“Everyone in the dugout was asking what I was yelling that for, and I said, ‘I was giving him the pitches,’” he said.

Lucas said he and his brother feed off each other’s success and make it into a competition.

“He’s (Marcos) our lead-off hitter, and when he gets a hit, I have to wait a few batters, and I’m like, ‘I’ve got to get a hit too,’” Lucas said. “I can’t let him get more hits than me.”

Since starting 10-6, the Bulldogs have dropped to 13-15. But Lucas said playing with his brother is fun whether they’re winning or losing, but that winning adds even more.

“We won earlier in the season, and we’re in a little bit of a funk right now, and hopefully, we’ll break out of it,” Marcos said. “But it should be fun the rest of the year too.”