Opinion | Poor communication only hurts students

The lack of  communication between majors and colleges is stunting the growth of students and the reputation of Butler University.
The poor communication between the different academic departments is resulting in students not getting the necessary information they need to graduate.
Upperclassmen who are studying in multiple fields have to communicate with several advisers and counselors in order to make sure they are staying on track to achieve their academic goals.
Many students are not meeting all of their needs because they do not know  they are not on track.
When advisers do not effectively communicate with each other and to students what needs to be done, the students are the ones some suffer.
Advisers typically have  great resumes and may often be doing research in addition to teaching. But  they need to realize they have other responsibilities. Part of this includes communicating with students about what they need to do in order to graduate.
Teachers make a lot of money on research, and making a living for their family should be a priority.  But students should not be their last priority. Their jobs would not exist if there were no students.
Students are falling in the gap of the lack of communication, resulting in a lot of wasted time and money over the course of the years.
The only way to fix this problem is to invest more money into an academic field in order to achieve the degree desired.
The registrar’s office gets the bulk of the frustration and complaints taken out on it, but it places the blame right back on the students for not taking responsibility for their own education.
Students need to be accountable, but if they were fully capable of managing their own education, there would be no need for advisers.
By the time most of these students realize they are not on track, it is too late to do anything.
Advisers need to take responsibility and make sure that all of their students are achieving their academic goals.
Butler prides itself on being a liberal arts college and having students studying in multiple colleges before graduation. If this is the school’s platform, then it must be seen through.