MODERN DAY PICASSOS | Art Now opens tonight

Twenty five tables, 25 black tablecloths, 25 toppers and the artistic works of more than 150 students and faculty will transform the Reilly Room into a feast for the eyes starting at 5 p.m. tonight.

ART NOW, in its sixth semester, is a showcase for students to display work they have created over the course of the semester in various art classes and independent studies.

Elizabeth Mix, associate professor of art history, said that the art program puts on ART NOW because it wants the whole campus to see what students are doing creatively.

ART NOW arose because there was never very much art on campus before and nobody knew about the each other’s artistic talents, she said “If you build it,” Mix said,  “They will come.”

For 24 hours, from 5 p.m. tonight until 5 p.m. tomorrow, people will have the chance to stroll up and down aisles of work created by students and faculty members.

Laura Kramer, a senior strategic communication and art + design double major, said that with every semester, the size of the event only gets bigger.

“You never see the same art twice,” Kramer said.  “It’s always different.”

Mix said that setting up the Reilly Room is always a bit stressful, but at the end of the day, she wants the people to experience and see the art.

“We want it to look amazing,” Mix said, “Because we’re so proud of what everyone’s made.”

The exhibit will feature all kinds of student-produced art including paintings, sculptures, poetry, performance art and multi-media.

Mix said that the great thing about this 24-hour exhibit is that people can see art produced by people they would never consider to be artists, whether they be students or business professors.

“There have always been artists on this campus,” Mix said.  “They just happen to be teaching in other departments.”

Daniel McCullough, a senior art + design major, said the exhibit features all kinds of mediums including burned canvas, broken glass and oil paintings.

“A lot of people, when they think of art, think of high-class paintings in museums,” McCullough said.  “This is much more personal.”

ART NOW is free and open to the public.  Mix said that the Reilly Room can be a bit imposing, but at the end of setup, it is completely filled with the talent of Butler students.

“That room isn’t just full,” Mix said. “It’s bursting.”