Internship coordinator’s contract to expire

This story is part of a series evaluating the internship coordinator position in the College of Communication.

Part One | Internships in the spotlight—CCOM position cut

Part Two | Students, Alum Petition CCOM

Part Three | Internship Coordinator’s Contract to Expire

Part Four | Coordinator Seeks Legal Counsel

This fall, students in Butler University’s College of Communication could see the return of centralized internship coordination, but they will have to say goodbye to the current coordinator this summer.

The current internship coordinator position ends May 31, said President Jim Danko in an email to The Collegian.

Ed Kanis, who also instructs strategic communication courses and advises PRSSA, currently holds that position and has overseen internship coordination since 2010.

Future decisions about funding an internship coordinator will be left to the college’s first permanent dean, Gary Edgerton, who Danko said will “determine how best to continue our support of student internships in CCOM programs.”

Danko said that if a permanent internship coordinator position was developed and funded, there would be an open search to fill that position.

In “CCOM position cut” (April 11), The Collegian reported that CCOM Interim Dean Bill Neher said the internship coordinator position would be cut because the college lacks funding for it.

Danko said he is comfortable stating that the funding will continue in the future.

He also said he cautioned against relating personnel matters to position funding.

When asked if there was a personnel matter that would preclude Kanis from retaining the position, Danko said he could only comment on the nature of the position, not a specific person who occupies the position.

“It is inappropriate for me as president to disclose facts on any confidential HR and personnel matter as it pertains to one of our employees, especially as there could be legal issues involved,” Danko said.

CCOM Interim Dean Bill Neher refused to comment yesterday on whether the position ended this year because of funding issues or because of personnel matters.

As of press time, The Collegian could not reach Ed Kanis to comment further.
Danko said he is supportive of providing all Butler students internships.

“During my presidency, preparing students for career success will be a high priority,” he said.