New student groups encourage faith, professionalism

Two new student groups join a Butler University’s other campus organizations this semester: Converge and P3 (“p-cubed”).

While Converge seeks to enhance campus spirituality, Professional Presence and Profile (or P3) aims to increase students’ professional prospects and images.

Austin Weaver, a fourth-year pharmacy student and vice-president of Converge, said the group is an answer to the interest on campus for a Christian religious service that is open to all Christian denominations as well as non-Christians.

He said the group will host weekly nondenominational Christian services in Robertson Hall as well as encourage student-led Bible study groups in Greek houses and campus housing buildings. He said Converge also will gather a few times each semester to do volunteer work.

For non-Christian Butler students and those still searching for a concrete faith, Weaver said Converge will be a nonjudgmental place to “gather with others in fellowship and possibly learn more about the Christian faith.”

Weaver said they will differ from other Christian groups on campus.

“A big question we usually get is how we are different than Cru,” Weaver said, “and the main thing is that we are offering a place on Sundays for the Christian community on campus to meet for a church service.”

A component of the Information Commons program, P3 is an outgrowth of many university departments, including Internship and Career Services and the Center for Academic Technology.

Huynh said the group will help students build professional online presences, prepare them for the professional world and benefit students of all majors.

“While students normally think that LinkedIn and other tools are only used by business people, it is clearly not the case,” he said.

In fact, he said the group’s main demographic is not business majors but students from colleges and departments that do not already have a career development program.

Junior Rocky Huynh, treasurer of the group, said that P3 is uniquely positioned to help students with the resources it has at its disposal.

Huynh said that students interested in P3’s services can attend the bi-weekly meeting in Pharmacy Building room 156, every other Thursday at 7 p.m. The next meeting is Feb. 23.

He also invited those interested to find more information on the Butler Connection or by emailing him or Lauren Lupkowski, the president of the group at llupkows@butler.edu.

Weaver said students interested in Converge could contact him by email at awweaver@butler.edu or just attend the first service at 11 a.m. on Sunday,   March 4.