OPINION | GHS offers cultural enrichment, should be priority

Butler University prides itself on its liberal arts pedigree.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Jay Howard writes an email every month titled “Liberal Arts Matters.”

I agree wholeheartedly.

But if the university makes this a priority, it needs to ensure that global and historical studies courses continue to be available for students and that it encourages professors to be enthusiastic to teach the subject.

GHS offers exposure for students to learn unfamiliar cultures, issues and perspectives.

It fits the liberal arts vision of the university perfectly.

The university focuses on more than just skills to obtain a job—which has obvious commercial benefit.

There is more to life, though, than getting and keeping a job.

GHS and other core classes attempt to expose students to that reality and hopefully to enrich them culturally.

All those atrocious buzzwords boil down to the fact that university officials believe that students should graduate with more than just the necessary skills to pursue an occupation.

As The Collegian reported this week, Butler has struggled to get enough instructors to teach GHS in the past.

The university is not considering canceling or shrinking the program in response to this.

Butler should not have to be worried about this problem, though.

Professors admittedly are very busy, but their time will be well spent on this program.

The program depends on a large diversity of backgrounds to make it work.

As a chemistry and criminology major, I found my own GHS professors to be incredibly insightful and also very different from my in-major class lectures.

The two professors were from business and history, and they are some of the most enthusiastic and inspiring teachers I have.

GHS needs more than just token nods and desperately filled-up sections.

Students need to go in with open minds, at the very least, and try to conjure up some enthusiasm.

And professors need to get involved in the program.

They need to be enthusiastic about these courses.

And they need to remember that, while this lecture subject may not be a part of their own department, they still have the chance to be powerful motivators for their students.