Low involvement in counseling services

Butler University provides comprehensive and professional psychiatric and counseling services at no charge to Butler students, faculty and staff, but only about 8 percent of students utilize these services.

“I don’t know a lot about the counseling services,” sophomore business major Michael Gorin said, “but I have friends who have gone there or are considering going there.”

Butler Counseling and Consultation Services, located in the southwest wing of the Health and Recreation Center, provides a variety of other services, such as personal, couples and group counseling, psychiatric services and alcohol and drug abuse services.

Staffed by professional psychologists and doctoral and master’s level interns, all services provided are strictly confidential and seek to support Butler’s educational mission by providing short-term therapeutic intervention.

Sophomore resident assistant and dance major Carly Hambridge said outreach programs were hosted at Schwitzer Hall last year, such as Stress Less Week, meditation day, and relaxation exercises.

CCS staff are assigned to different residence halls, offering support to RAs and residents.

“Students can go for schedule management advice, stress relief or for more serious problems like depression and anxiety or just to talk about personal problems,” she said.

CCS staff psychologist and outreach coordinator Mindy Wallpe said the Butler Connection is used to spread word about specific programs in addition to CCS’s website, booths at Welcome Week, Block Party, RecFest and orientation and department meetings.

Despite the percentage of students unaware of the services available to them, CCS still sees a lot of business.

“This is comparable to other university counseling centers,” Wallpe said. “We do a nice job of balancing providing services to the students and meeting their individual needs.”

Abby Robison, junior biology and anthropology major, said CCS services are helpful.

“Knowing that CCS gives us a representative for our residence hall is very comforting. We know that there is always someone at CCS who is dedicated specifically to our residents,” she said.

Robison stressed that mental and psychological health and stability “isn’t taboo anymore.”

“They are always there to help and work around your schedule,” she said. “It’s relieving to have something this great right on campus.”

Eric Wessel, an RA and senior physician assistant major, said the services could be individualized depending on the student and the situation.

“I think their services are great,” Wessel said. “Each staff member has certain interests.”

Robison said she encourages students to reach out to the resources on campus.

“I want to speak out that seeking counseling is actually very responsible,” Robison said. “It’s easy to judge people when they say they go to counseling, if you’ve never needed it. But for the many people on this earth who do need counseling, it is better to start dealing with your problems instead of seeking something just to numb the pain. There can be a solution to your problems, and CCS can help.”