Don’t forsake sports for farm

A barren field strewn with tattered soccer nets; what is happening to the intramural fields?

The campus farm is expanding its half-acre plot of land onto the fields. That’s what’s happening.

We at The Butler Collegian feel this expansion is outrageous, because Butler University is failing to find a more equal solution that allows both the farm and the intramural fields to continue in an adequate space with the proper equipment.
The campus farm and the intramural fields are integral parts of the university, but the current solution isn’t fixing much of anything.

Bigger isn’t better in this scenario. This is about Butler making the most of what the campus has available.

By enhancing each of these campus components, they would more efficiently serve their purpose. If better equipment were provided, more students would partake in intramural sports; likewise, if the campus farm were improved on its current grounds, it could produce better crops and continue to attract more students.

While the campus farm is an interesting, fresh addition to the campus, it needs to improve within the confines of its own space. The intramural fields are already suffering along with worn, torn equipment that has long-since passed its expiration date.

Expanding the farm and encroaching upon the space of intramural fields could prevent some students from participating in team, club and intramural sports.

In turn, refusing the farm any expansion space hinders a chance for students to learn more about urban farming and become involved in producing a valuable commodity.

It is incomprehensible that the university cannot find a solution to location-related issues without acting as though something has to be scaled back. Compromise can be reached in this regard.

The farm serves its own important role within campus, as part of a green initiative that Butler has adopted in the past few years to help make the campus more environmentally friendly.

Expanding the farm would require the tilling of fresh soil to make it sustainable for crops. However, the amount of work and energy it would take would virtually defeat the green effort Butler has attached itself to.

The university is missing the point that it would make more sense to improve the quality of  both the campus farm and the intramural fields than favor one over the other.

Improvement doesn’t always require expansion. The campus farm and intramural sports fields should come to a consensus to find a middle ground that suits both parties and doesn’t require expansion.

Frankly, this is a problem with a simple solution that the university is overlooking: compromise.