COB maintains prestigious accreditation

The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business has reaccredited Butler University’s College of Business, an honor received by less than 5 percent of business schools.

The accreditation places the College of Business among the elite business schools of the world.

“Accreditation through AACSB is a gold standard when it comes to business schools in the nation,” Dean of the College of Business Chuck Williams said.  “It means we are delivering the best business education.”

Williams said the accreditation also has allowed the COB to be recognized by BusinessWeek and other big-name organizations.

“BusinessWeek doesn’t even consider schools that are not accredited,” he said. “And there are Fortune 500 companies that won’t provide tuition assistance to employees unless they are attending an AACSB accredited business school.”

The school was first accredited in 1999.

In order to be accredited, the COB, which has approximately 650 undergraduate and 250 gradutes students, had to have a clear mission and strategy.

At Butler, that strategy is “Real Business. Real Experience.”

“Its experiential education delivered by a research active faculty,” Williams said.

Actively implementing the strategy is the next step in becoming an AACSB accredited school.

Senior Libby Bates said that “Real Business. Real Experience” translates into the education she has received in the COB.

“Not only do students learn fundamental technical skills, but we are also able to apply those skills both in the classroom and out in the business world,” Bates said.  “The unique experiences really show that the College of Business goes above and beyond in helping students become as prepared as possible.”

Bates said that the COB is deserving because it is the total package: a dedicated faculty, a challenging curriculum and a great mission.

“I’ve been challenged in my classes, received priceless advice and mentoring and am very prepared to step out into the real world in May,” Bates said.

Sophomore Maggie Anderson said she agrees that the COB is deserving.

“Our [college] deserves an honor like this because the faculty and the courses and everything that is offered outside of curriculum goes a long way in helping students prepare for the real business world,” Anderson said.

Anderson said she believes the COB faculty really set the school apart.

“There is a lot of personal attention given to students,” she said. “There are people who are eager and willing to support us with anything we need.”

Regardless of the school’s teaching methods, the AACSB accreditation provides Butler students and faculty alike with the assurance that they are participating in something great.

“This is a sign that we are among the best,” Williams said.

For Anderson, that is reassuring.

“I like knowing that when I enter the job market and I have ‘Butler University College of Business’ at the top of my résumé, I can be proud of that,” she said.