Faculty Senate opens doors

In an effort to reach out to the greater campus community, the Butler University Faculty Senate installed office hours in September.

“We set aside an hour per week to provide an opportunity to members of the [Butler] community to come and speak with us about matters that may be concerns for the Faculty Senate to undertake,” Margaret Brabant, chair of the faculty senate, said.

Brabant proposed the office hours at the beginning of the year in hopes to involve more of the committee. When she suggested it, Vice Chair Doug Spaniol “readily agreed that it was a good idea.”

Being unaware of all individual opinions, however, Brabant said she was unable to state whether the senate as a whole supported the decision.

“While some senators have expressly stated their support of the idea, I cannot presume to speak on behalf of the entire senate as to whether or not they are ‘supportive of this idea,’” Brabant said.

Since the installation Sept. 1, Faculty Senate officers hold weekly office hours in Jordan Hall, Room 245, from 1:30-2:30 p.m.

However, due to conflicts with the staff assembly meetings, Brabant said that this time will change next semester.

“[The time will] change next semester so that I may attend the staff assembly meetings that are currently scheduled on Wednesdays from 2:00-3:00 p.m.,” she said.

Though not always utilized, Brabant said that there are people coming in to the office hours to express their suggestions or concerns from time to time.

Junior Margaret Palicka said she knew that a body such as the Faculty Senate existed but she wasn’t aware of what their role was or how it affected students.

“I thought it was supposed to be secretive,” Palicka said. “I didn’t know it was something that students could utilize to express concerns or make suggestions.

“I don’t think that students are aware of it purpose and pay attention to it.”

According to the Constitution of the Faculty Senate, “The Faculty Senate is the forum and deliberative body for the expression of the faculty’s recommendations regarding these matters.

“Faculty Senate also has interests in the economic welfare of the institution and in protecting the rights and interests of the faculty.”

All are welcome to stop by during office hours to ask questions.