Despite high prices, restaurant delivers big

Mesh brings a fresh take on surf and turf to Massachusetts Avenue.

The new restaurant opened nearly four weeks ago and is owned by Mike Cunningham, who also the owns the Stonecreek Dining Company.

Cunningham saw an opportunity to turn the venue formally known as Scholars Inn into a restaurant.

In this nice, cozy atmosphere you can find contemporary style American food available to you for brunch, lunch, dinner or dessert.

This restaurant is perfect for all ages and all occasions—from date night to business meetings, or just a nice family dinner.

Mesh is open seven days a week with varying menus for the time of the day. The variety makes for a perfectly tailored dining experience.

The brunch menu features items like omelets, eggs Benedict, bagels, pancakes and cinnamon apple risotto. Like most of Mesh’s meals, it offers fresh takes on classics.

I wasn’t at Mesh for breakfast, but I spoke to another customer about the pancakes and she said they’re a favorite on the menu.

Alongside the many breakfast favorites, the brunch menu also has sandwiches like the Cuban chicken, a shrimp po’boy and a hot hoagie with two kinds of ham and salami.

These sandwiches are also available on the lunch menu that features an extensive selection of salads, sandwiches, burgers and other small plates.

No matter what time you go, there is definitely something for everyone but the dinner menu takes it to new heights.

Not only are there the standard appetizers, soups, salads and sandwiches, there are two separate main dish sections: “From the Land” and “From the Sea.”

If you’re more of a carnivore, I’d suggest ordering from the “Land” menu, where you can find boneless short ribs or the filet mignon.

Options from the “Sea” include yellow fin tuna, Norwegian salmon, jumbo lump crab cakes and rock shrimp fettuccini.

For my first time at Mesh, I started with the “Seven 25” salad, which consists of spring greens, blackberry vinaigrette, onion, Gorgonzola and spiced pecans.

It was a delicious precursor to my main course—the “Gorg-Bacon” burger. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very different from the burgers I usually order at restaurants.

Again, Mesh wins with innovative takes on perennial favorites. The Gorgonzola glaze and onion relish are unique additions and I  highly recommend it.

My dining partner ordered one of the entrée size salads. The “Rock Caesar” topped a classic Caesar salad with fried shrimp, red chili aioli and a parmesan crisp.

“It was good,” she said. “I’m a big fan of Caesar salads, and for someone who likes seafood more than me, it would probably be a great choice.”

Last but not least, you can’t leave Mesh without trying  the dessert and the Mud Napoleon can’t be beat.  It consists of chocolate and vanilla on mocha ice cream, with warm peanut butter caramel sauce.

The two of us felt that the service was beyond fantastic and the prices were worth both the service and the quality. Dinner prices range from $10 to $24—well worth it.

Mesh is also open late to serve an older crowd—stop in anytime before midnight Monday-Thursday, and 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. If not in the mood for a full meal, guests over 21 may dine at the bar. Mesh just launched a brand new $2 bar menu available 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

The bar menu includes snacks like sweet potato chips, pretzel rolls and honey chipotle roasted peanuts. More substantial items like sliders, tacos and grilled flatbreads bridge the gap from bar grub to a light meal.

Before you leave for Mesh, hop online to reserve a table.  After selecting the date, time and number of people in your party, your reservations are confirmed instantly.

So, no matter what the occasion—even if there isn’t one at all—or what you’re in the mood for, Mesh is sure to hit the spot.