Butler freshmen card lowest scores at Butler Invitational

GRANT ANSCHUETZ | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler Men’s and women’s golf teams were in action this past Monday and Tuesday at their home event, the Butler invitational. Two freshmen won the tournament for the Bulldogs. Gehrig Hollatz had the overall best score for the men while Lauren Tibbets had the lowest individual score for the women.  Hollatz’s three round total was good enough to set a Butler school-record. As a team, the men finished in fourth place out of five teams while the women finished in third place out of ten.

Hollatz started off the tournament with a first round score of 68 (-2). Tibbets and Christine Cates carded first round scores of 74 (+4) to lead the Bulldogs. The men combined for a first round total of 291 (+11) while the women fired a 303 (+23).

Hollatz improved on his first round score with a second round 66 (-4). Joey Arcuri and Connor Dudley posted scores of 67 (-3) as well. Tibbets also improved on her first round score by shooting a 71 (+1). Altogether the men shot a 277  (-3) while the women fired a 308 (+28). The women only played two rounds in their tournament, so they finished with a tournament total of 611 (+51).

Hunter Byram had the low third round score for the Bulldogs. He shot a 67 (-3) while Hollatz and Brigham Stewart recorded scores of 69 (-1). They concluded the tournament with a last round score of 290 (+10).  Their overall score as a team for the tournament was an 858 (+18).

The men’s next match is October 19th at Dayton while the women play October 26th at Evansville.