Fall activities and events in Indy

In the spirit of fall beginning here are Indy’s best autumnal attractions. Photo courtesy of Jeff Kline. 

KIRAN BRAR | STAFF REPORTER | kbrar@butler.edu

Chilly weather, colorful leaves, snuggling up in blankets and warm drinks. Sounds like fall is returning once again. Whether you plan to stay in or go out, there are many things to do around Indianapolis to get in the fall spirit.

Harvest Festival at Newfields

Location: 4000 N Michigan Road, Indianapolis, IN 46208

From Oct. 3-6, Newfields is hosting its very own festival with live music, a screening of the film “Rudy,” pumpkin painting, art activities and new works of art to accompany the season. The variety of activities and scenery at Newfields would make for a perfect Instagram photo. Although Butler students get a free membership with Newfields, tickets for the Harvest Festival cost $10 onsite and $5 online. Online tickets can be bought on their website, where there is also a full schedule of activities to view.

Tuttle Orchards

Location: 5717 N 300 W, Greenfield, IN 46140

Tuttle Orchards is a fall staple, located about 35 minutes from campus. The cafe and sweets shop has different menus for each season, so trying their apple and pumpkin donuts is a must. Highlighted activities include apple picking and visiting the pumpkin patch, making for a great day to try some hand-dipped caramel apples and do some pumpkin carving. 

Fall Dishes

Comfort foods and fall have a close relationship, which means there are a variety of different fall dishes to try out. Soups, pies and pumpkin bread are just a few dishes that can be prepared during the season. While it might be difficult to cook or bake on campus, either fall break or Thanksgiving break could be the perfect opportunity.

Haunted House

There is nothing like a good scare to get in the fall mood. Nightmare on Edgewood, located about 30 minutes from campus, is the only haunted house in Indiana that provides a 3D audio sensory experience. Hanna Haunted Acres, located about one hour away, is another popular haunted house to visit.

Catacombs Paranormal Tour

Location: 202 East Market St., Indianapolis, IN 46204

The City Market is known for local food and drinks, but right underneath are the City Market Catacombs. The guided paranormal tour gives an eerie feel while walking through historical ruins. The tours run on Oct. 5, 19 and 26. Tickets are available to purchase on their website for $12. 

Halloween Movie Marathon

A movie marathon calls for blankets, warm drinks and fall scented candles to set the mood. Some classics to watch are “Hocus Pocus,” “Monster House,” “Coraline” and the “Halloweentown” series. If that’s not spooky enough, “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and the “Paranormal Activity” series should do the trick. 

Eiteljorg Museum Day of the Dead Celebration

Location: 500 W Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204

Eiteljorg Museum is hosting a Day of the Dead Celebration on Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. There will be music and dance performances, art activities, a Catrina parade and an exhibit of altars to showcase what the holiday is about. The Eiteljorg is located about 20 minutes away, and admission is free.

Bonfire

Bonfires are a fall classic. Breaking out the sweatshirts and enjoying some s’mores is a great way to spend a fall night. Right here on campus, Irvington and Fairview have fireplaces for students to utilize. 

Make sure to try these activities and check out the events to get the full fall experience.