IMPD has lead on Sunday’s armed robbery

BY MELISSA IANNUZZI | ASST. NEWS EDITOR

The Butler University and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Departments are searching for individuals who robbed two Butler students at gunpoint. Detective Bruce Allee said IMPD appears to have a lead in the case.

Two Butler students were walking on 42nd Street around 3 a.m. Sunday when a car stopped near them. Two men got out of the car, both wearing dark clothing and ski masks. One of them was holding a shotgun.

According to a statement the victims gave to detective Bruce Allee, the suspects approached the students and demanded that they hand over their belongings.

The victims reported believing it to initially be a joke with a toy gun, but the suspects became more threatening and vulgar. The students handed over their wallets and cell phones, and the suspects drove away traveling west.

The suspects were not injured, just very shaken up, Allee said.

Descriptions of two similar incidents involving two robbers occurred in Broad Ripple at 1 a.m. and 3:45 a.m. Sunday. Robbers in both of those cases also stole wallets and cell phones.

Police believe at least three suspects are involved in this case.

BUPD will co-operate with IMPD, which has the best leads and a cooperative witness, Allee said. The witness said the car was most likely a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am with no hubcaps and a temporary plate in the back window.

BUPD recommends that students in similar situations should comply with the robbers.

“Valuables can easily be replaced, but your personal safety and health cannot (be),” Allee said.

This is the first robbery involving Butler students since this time last year. That time, the robbers travelled on foot and police made arrests.