President’s house, Creative Writing Center to get updates

Renovations will soon occur at the Carter House, the official residence for university presidents, and at the Creative Writing Center.

The president’s house, located at 525 Blue Ridge Road, will undergo renovations to welcome Butler University’s new president.

No specific work orders have been placed and approved for the house, according to a press release from the university.

Discussion, feedback and approval have to occur with the Butler-Tarkington Neighborhood Association before any construction can commence.

In addition to renovations at that residence, the Creative Writing Center at 530 W. Hampton Drive will face changes funded by the Efroymson Family Fund of Central Indiana Community Foundation.

The organization, along with Jeremy Efroymson, donated $1 million last November to go toward the purchase and renovation of the house.

The property, which served as the residence for the university president from 1965 to 1979, will be converted into a space for “collaboration, creativity and discussion with Butler’s visiting writers,” according to the Butler University website.

The donors have provided the university with other gifts, such as the naming of the Efroymson Diversity Center and  student scholarship support.

“We are extremely grateful to Jeremy Efroymson and his family for this gift and for their longtime friendship with Butler,” University President Bobby Fong said.

Efroymson, who earned an MBA from Butler in 2002, said the aim of the Efroymson Family Fund is “to promote the individual creative person in Indianapolis.”

“It’s important for writers to have their own space,” he said. “It will add a whole new level to Butler’s writing program and I think it will also be a boost to creative writing in general in the Indianapolis area.”