From field to classroom, leadership key for Isenthal

The feeling of being under pressure is something most people seem to avoid. This cannot be said of Butler senior men’s soccer player Jared Isenthal, who has no problem with the clock ticking down on him on or off the pitch.

Leadership is the trait Isenthal lives by. During his high school career, Isenthal served on the student government at Carmel High School while also helping the Carmel United Soccer Club to a pair of national championships.

When it came time for Isenthal to decide what college to attend, the University of Wisconsin, Marquette, Dayton and Butler were all in the running.

But for Isenthal, Butler felt like home.

“Butler was just the better fit for me,” Isenthal said. “Academically, I liked everything about classes and such at Butler, as well as the business program and all the other programs Butler has to offer.”

During his freshman year, Isenthal stepped up in a big way for the men’s soccer team, playing every minute of the Bulldogs’ season.

He was named to the Horizon League All-Conference team at the end of the season.

During his sophomore year, Isenthal fought a shoulder injury that resulted in surgery at the end of the season.

Despite this adversity, he was elected to be one of the team’s captains going into his junior season.

Isenthal’s impact at Butler has not been felt by the soccer team alone, though.

Off the pitch, Isenthal jumped into the Student Athlete Advisory Council. He rose to the position of vice president his sophomore year before being elected to the presidential position his junior year.

As a member of the council, Isenthal had the opportunity to put the priority scheduling document in place last year.

This document gives student-athletes the chance to schedule their classes ahead of other Butler students so they have appropriate time available for their respective sports.

Isenthal continues to act as the voice of student-athletes, sitting alongside Athletic Director Barry Collier and answering student-athlete-related questions for the Board of Trustees.

In the classroom, Isenthal studies finance and received the opportunity to work as an intern last year for Eli Lilly in Indianapolis.

Additionally, Isenthal was named one of Butler’s top 100 students. Each year, Butler faculty and staff nominate 100 students who they believe deserve to be called one of the top students of the university.

While Isenthal said he enjoys being active and feels he works better under pressure, he said he feels obligated to give back to Butler.

“I just feel like I have to give back for everything I have received,” Isenthal said. “I do it by trying to be a leader on the field and off the field, giving student-athletes more say in the classroom and helping my teammates.”

Isenthal said he will continue to be involved after college and that his love and passion for coaching soccer will carry him through the next step of his life.

“I’ve never been one to have a lot of free time,” Isenthal said. “I’ve always liked it that way.”