Getting the green light

Green Dot training is all about how to become an active bystander. Graphic courtesy of Alteristic.

JENNA HARLAN | STAFF REPORTER | jhharlan@butler.edu

Green Dot training sessions are opportunities for students to learn about bystander intervention, and how to become a “green dot” in any place someone might go. Coordinated and led by the director of student advocacy, Jules Grable, the most recent session was held on Oct. 12 from 2-5 p.m.  

All over the maps provided in the training materials, there are red dots that represent incidents of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking. Green dots are a metaphor for a marker where a good deed took place — an action that prevents something from going wrong. These interventions can provide a distraction in a situation that seems dangerous or getting directly involved in a case of domestic abuse. 

Some students at Butler University are determined to become a green dot on a map covered in red — whether that be something as simple as helping someone carry their things across campus or stepping in when violence is happening.

The first session of Green Dot training on Butler’s campus was in 2019 and resumed annually after the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Grable feels passionate about this topic and finds that bystander intervention can stop many crimes, such as domestic violence or sexual assault, from happening. She said that being able to use this skill is necessary for everyone, but finds it especially important for college students. 

“We know, statistically speaking, that power-based personal violence occurs in all age ranges, but we also know that 18 to 24-year-olds experience the highest rates of sexual violence and stalking out of all age groups,” Grable said. “Our college students are really primed to see this behavior happening and do something to stop it.”

Senior psychology major Sydney Little went through the process of becoming Green Dot certified last spring and recalled it positively. She heard about the training through her sorority and felt like the training was a good refresher on her previous knowledge of how to intervene in potentially dangerous situations.

“[Green dot training] covered a lot of heavy topics,” Little said. “They approached it in a way that was very comfortable, but also not minimizing the seriousness of the issue. Overall it was a very good experience.”

Students who attended this session believe the skills taught are extremely important, especially in real-life circumstances, and recommend that students across campus attend. 

Sophomore accounting major Ethan Baker said he will be putting his Green Dot certification into use in his everyday life. Green Dot training will be especially prevalent in his college life.

“I feel like I can go out and use [Green Dot training] a little bit,” Baker said. “I’m in Greek life and we run into scenarios all the time where it’s important to intervene and make sure everyone’s being safe. I can use the information that Jules taught us today to be better at that.”

Senior sociology-criminology major Sophie Knue is Butler’s student advocacy fellow. She works directly with Grable as a liaison between students and staff. 

Knue said she loves working alongside Grable and helping communicate what’s best for students’ needs.

“Whenever Jules is doing something, I love showing up and supporting her because she does really important work,” Knue said. “[My biggest takeaway from Green Dot training] is knowing that even if it’s small, something that I do can still make a larger difference.”

Sophomore finance major Jack Beahrs said he recommends all students attend these sessions. He feels it is important to become better informed on bystander intervention. 

“There’s no reason not to [get Green Dot certified],” Beahrs said. “It takes three hours out of your day … The more people that learn about it, the closer this issue [of bystanders not getting involved] gets to being solved.”

There will be another Green Dot training program this semester on Friday, Nov. 15, from 2-5 p.m. There will be food provided, and any student who completes the program will receive a certificate, a free t-shirt and a badge to include in their email signature.