Career studio concludes first month of operation

The CaPS career studio finishes its first month in the Lacy School of Business. Photo by Miriam Rimawi.

OLIVIA KLAFTA | STAFF REPORTER | oklafta@butler.edu 

Butler University’s career studio has nearly concluded its first month of operation since opening on Sept. 9. The studio is located in the Career and Professional Success office suite 102 of the Lacy School of Business. Students of all majors can utilize the career studio Monday through Thursday between 4-6 p.m. 

The previous career studio was housed out of the Atherton Union Internship and Career Services office. ICS changed names this past year and is now CaPS. 

The studio is designed to help students with creating resumes, preparing for interviews and thinking about the future in general. Students who visit the career studio work with peer career advisors in 15-30 minute sessions.  

Alyssa Laskowski, career studio supervisor and student employment coordinator, said the career studio is “a place for all.” 

“It’s focused on that peer-to-peer interaction, which we find is really important so students know there are other students going through very similar things when it comes to the career development process, which can be really daunting and kind of confusing,” Laskowski said. “It’s really good to have fellow students so other students can open up in a more casual environment.” 

This year, the career studio hired three more peer career advisors, for a current total of five. Peer career advisors are Butler students who work one-on-one with students seeking help in the career development process. 

Reagan Ringvelski, a senior arts administration and music major, is a peer career advisor. Ringvelski said the previous career studio was more staff-focused and did not embody the peer collaboration that the new career studio does. 

“The candidness is helpful,” Ringvelski said. “A student can be like, ‘I’m not sure what this means,’ and we can talk in the same colloquial language, whereas with staff members, it’s always going to feel like an authority is telling you what to do. It’s helpful to get another set of eyes that are at your level. Someone who’s currently a student, someone who’s not just making resumes all day long.”

Madison Seigworth, a sophomore marketing and finance major, said she has not visited the career studio yet but is likely to use it in the future for resume help. She first heard about it through emails from LSB.

“Resumes can be confusing, especially if you’ve never done one,” Seigworth said. “I feel like students will use it in the future as they get older and throughout their years at Butler.”