CHASE office now offers a semester in New York City

The new program is open to juniors and seniors of all majors. Photo courtesy of the CHASE office’s website. 

CATALINA GALLEGOS | STAFF REPORTER | cgallego@butler.edu

Beginning fall 2018, Washington, D.C. will no longer be the only option to find internships on the east coast. The Center for High Achievement and Scholarly Engagement will allow Butler students the opportunity to study in New York City for a semester.

New York City will allow students a chance to experience a different culture along with new job opportunities.

Rusty Jones, faculty director of CHASE, has worked with the Washington, D.C. program the past three years. He enjoys seeing students gain unique characteristics from the program.

“A lot of students study abroad which is a great way for personal growth, and these opportunities with D.C. and New York are not only personal but professional growth,” Jones said.

The New York trip is predicted by those who have been a part of the Washington, D.C. trip to be successful.

The new program is available for juniors and seniors of any major. Jones said that was a point of confusion with the Washington, D.C. trip. Many students believed it was just for political science majors when in reality, it is for anyone. Jones said he hopes for a variety of majors to apply for the New York program.

The opportunity to study in New York is only available for fall semester because the housing prices are more affordable in the fall than the spring. After a couple of years, Jones said he hopes the program can be offered in the spring as well.

After acceptance into the program, the student has a meeting to discuss which internships are a good fit for them. The student can then begin to apply for internships on their own.

“I work with all applicants to figure out the best places to apply, how many places to apply to,” Jones said. “Then, we all wait to hear the good news as offers start to come in.”

Claire Jacobi, senior sports media major, was a part of the Washington, D.C. program spring of 2017.

“Any opportunity that you can to study abroad or go to a different city while you are at Butler is a really good opportunity,”  Jacobi said.

Jacobi had a video production internship at the U.S. Holocaust Museum. She interned Monday through Thursday and had class on Fridays.

Jacobi said she has high hopes for the outcome of the New York program. She jokes about going if she could study in another city again.

“New York is big and it’s happening — there is a lot of stuff going on,” Jacobi said. “I feel like it will appeal to students especially from the Midwest area.”

Students are not the only ones excited for this trip. Sociology and criminology professor, Antonio Menendez-Alarcon taught classes for the Washington, D.C. trip the past three years.

“I have always had a great experience with the students. They are motivated and have contributed to class,” Menendez said.

Menendez teaches a sociology class, and he said he believes New York will be a great place to hold this program.

“In fact, regarding to my interest in immigration,” Menendez said. “New York will be even better because it has a lot diversity.”

Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and two recommendation letters from an employer and professor. The application is available online at New York City Learning Semester. Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on Feb.  9, 2018.