Potholes, cracks affect streets around campus

Photo by Jimmy Lafakis

BRITTANY BLUTHARDT | STAFF REPORTER | bbluthar@butler.edu

Poorly maintained roads leading into campus continue to disrupt drivers and students as the Butler-Tarkington Neighborhood Association searches for solutions.

BTNA President Clark Kirkman acts as an advocate with Indianapolis officials for the neighborhood’s issues from potholes to speeding.

“City-wide there are infrastructure issues with the roads and there’s only so many dollars that we get to fix the roads,” Kirkman said. “A great way to report potholes and other road issues is to download the app, RequestIndy.”

The app allows anyone to report a road issue, a stray animal or a different environmental concern. Through geolocation technology, the app tracks the issue’s exact location. The person can take a picture of the issue and send it through the app.

Kirkman told residents in his newsletter to download the app and report any road issues.

“I think that if two people report it, it gets more attention, too,” he said.

The Indianapolis Department of Business and Neighborhood Services is responsible for oversight of maintenance and public safety, according to Indy.gov. Kirkman said BNS inspects many of the roads issues, but residents should use the RequestIndy app to bring forward any pressing issues.

“There are certain issues that really need to be tended to,” Kirkman said. “I don’t think it’s unique to Butler-Tarkington.

Junior psychology major Stephanie Buchanan currently lives in Butler Terrace and will live on 42nd Street her senior year. She is frustrated by the consistent road issues surrounding campus.

“I can’t go 10 feet without hitting another old pot hole that the city avoids for months only for them to pop back up next winter and spring,” she said.

Jeremy Moore, associate director of parking services at Butler University, is on a parking committee with Kirkman and other representatives from BTNA. The committee discusses issues regarding roads and parking.

With the construction of the new business school and additions between the Holcomb Building and Gallahue Hall, campus is covered with construction equipment.

“We are probably holding off with [Butler] road construction,” Moore said. “We know we’re bringing in a lot of construction equipment and giving these streets a beating.”

Moore said major road construction plans are not in Butler’s immediate future.

Sunset Avenue and Hampton Drive are main traffic roads on campus with 30 mph speed limits. Kirkman said BTNA receives speeding complaints from families and homeowners that live near the roads.

“Most of residents think that it’s Butler students,” he said. “It’s certainly around Fairview house, and many families worry about the speed limit.”

Despite speeding issues, Butler and BTNA work together on improving road issues.
“I think Butler has been a good advocate for the city on these roads,” Kirkman said. “It is what it is when you live in a city that’s been around for awhile. But, it’s certainly something we’re always trying to work on.”

One Comment;