Bulldogs of Butler: Music major Chris De Tar

LIZZY HACKL| ASSIST. CULURE EDITOR | ehackl@butler.edu

Bulldogs of Butler hopes to highlight the many people on Butler’s campus.  Click here to read more interesting stories about your fellow Dawgs.

Percussion Major, Panda And Haribo Gummy Bear Lover, and Future Paris Connoisseur: Who Could This Be? Read On to Find Out.

Name: Chris De Tar

From: Indianapolis, Indiana specifically Franklin Township

Major: Music Performance for percussion

Minor: Considering adding Recording Industry minor

Involvements on Campus: Works at High-Ropes course and Schrott Center for the Arts, goes to Cru (an evangelical Christian organization) small groups every week, and is a member of ensemble groups: wind ensemble, percussion ensemble, and new music ensemble/ composer orchestra

Dream Job: “I’m open to what college may throw at me or what may come my way, but I would love to work somewhere that I can perform or play drums religiously. I would love to work either at a Church or start a Christian band.

Favorite Animal: Panda. “It’s always cute and adorable in pictures and I love the meme that says, ‘I’m black, white, and Asian. I can’t be racist.’”

Favorite Movie: Seven “It’s a thriller with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. The ending is perfect. I just saw Batman vs. Superman and really liked it. You have to go in with no anticipation or comparison to other movies; just except a good superhero movie.”

Favorite Genre of Music and Favorite Song: “That’s like asking a mother to pick her favorite child. With being a percussionist, you have to be an expert at every kind of musical genre; so, whatever gets me paid that night is my favorite genre.”

Q&A with Chris De Tar

Collegian: What inspired you to choose your major?

Chris: “I’ve always known that I was good at performing growing up and people have told me that I’m good at it. I really like playing.”

He started taking percussion lessons in the 3rd grade and started performing in the 6th grade.

TBC: Did you always want to go to Butler?

CT: I went to a big high school, which made me like the idea of going to a small college to get individual attention. I wanted to look at Butler because the majority of the people who taught me music growing up went to Butler and my sister is a current senior here. I talked to Butler’s Percussion Director and realized that Butler seemed to care about me more than other school did.

TBC: It seems like you’ve had an awesome year so far with all of your involvements. What are your plans for the upcoming summer?

CT: “I’m studying abroad in Paris for pretty much the entire month of May to study music history. This will probably be the only time I study abroad and if I could travel anywhere it would be Europe, specifically Paris, so I’m excited for the food and culture, especially the food, haha.”

TBC: What’s your favorite food?

CT: “Haribo gummy bears. My family and I had a German exchange student for a year and she had Haribo flown in from Germany. I ate a two-pound bag in about 30 seconds and loved it.”

TBC: Do you enjoy performing a certain genre compared to listening to one or do you think it is equal?

CT: “I really like performing with marching percussion because you’re physically active. You’re playing on the floor doing crazy stuff in front of a large, cheering audience. The adrenaline is so high; nothing else can capture that.”