Bulldogs of Butler: Suzanne Dwyer

LIZZY HACKL | ASSIST. CULTURE EDITOR

This is the latest installment of our Bulldog of Butler series. We hope to highlight the many people on this campus. Click here to read more stories about your fellow Dawgs.

Starbucks Barista, Future Pharmacist, and Talented Painter: Who Could This Be?

Name: Suzanne Dwyer

Nickname: Suz or DJ Suzy D

Grade: First-year

From: Tinley Park, Illinois (A Southern suburb of Chicago)

Major: Pharmacy

Minor: (about to declare) Chemistry

Involvements on Campus: Barista at Starbucks, Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity

Favorite Music Genre: Indie pop and country “I love driving with the windows down listening to country music.”

Dream Vacation: India to do social work. “Their rich culture is so intriguing; a lot of people need help there.”

Ice cream or Gelato: Gelato “In Hawaii, I tried Stracciatella; it tastes like cake batter and chocolate chips had a baby.”

Favorite Social Media: Instagram or Pinterest “I love looking at people’s happy pictures; they’re worth a thousand words.”

SUZ AT BUDM copy Dwyer (top) at BUDM – Courtesy of Dwyer’s facebook

Q&A with Suz Dwyer

Collegian: Do you prefer Broad Ripple of Downtown Indianapolis?

Suzanne: “I love Broad Ripple. My favorite restaurant is Three Wise Men; I try something new off of the menu every time. They bring a bucket of popcorn out to your table; what’s more awesome than that?”

C: What are your plans for spring break?

S: “I’m going on Butler’s Alternative Spring Break to Colombia, South Carolina to do flood recovery work because, in October, over twelve billion dollars of property were destroyed and they’re in so much need of help. I did Ambassadors of Change and after that, I’ve wanted to continue being involved with Butler and making a difference.”

C: What are you most excited to do over Spring Break?

S: “I’m excited for the experience and to get to know more people. I’ve been on mission trips to Twin Cities, Minnesota, Nashville, Tennessee, and Harlan County, Kentucky, which prepared me well for this upcoming service work. I’m going to blog my experience for the first time and have heard that it may get published.

C: What inspired you to declare pharmacy as your major?

S: “I love Chemistry and have always wanted to be in the medical field to help people. Pharmacy is the best of both worlds.”

C: How did you hear about Butler?

S: “A girl a year older than me from my high school came to Butler for pharmacy and told me to check it out and when I did, I loved it.”

C: Did you always want a small college?

S: “My high school graduating class was 286 girls, which made the transition to another small school easy. I love the small feel of Butler and how easy it is to meet students and professors.”

SUZ AT BUTLER copy Dwyer (right) courtesy of Dwyer’s facebook

C: So you mentioned that you work at Starbucks. How is that?

S: “I worked at Dunkin’ Donuts back home, which prepared me well for working at Starbucks. It’s a work rivalry, but when my friend told me that Starbucks was hiring, I knew that I would be able to do well as a barista due to past experience.”

C: What is your favorite drink to make?

S: “A Thin Mint Frappuccino. It’s a cream-based white Mocha Frappuccino with three pumps of peppermint and three scoops of Java chips and tastes just like the Girl Scout Cookie.”

C: What’s the strangest drink you have had to make?

S: “A Matcha Green Tea Latte with added mocha and a shot of espresso; it threw me off.”

C How has the experience been so far?

S: “I get to see a lot of people come through the lines and sometimes I’ll remember their drink or their name and it makes them feel special and happy and puts a smile on their face knowing that I can help brighten their day through something as easy and simple as making coffee for them. It’s really special and fun.”

C: What has been your favorite memory from working at Starbucks?

S: “The first day I worked was the week before Christmas break. I loved being able to meet everyone and get adapted with the help of others. It took some to get used to, but it’s so fun and rewarding now.”

C: How did you feel seeing Delta Gamma call Starbucks workers heroes?

S: “That was awesome. Not all heroes wear capes; some wear aprons.”

C: What do you love to do in your free time here at Butler?

S: “I love painting. I go to Michaels and do a lot of canvases; my favorite art piece that I’ve made is an impressionist. My aunt is an interior designer, so when I was little, I was always surrounded by the arts and loved it.”

C: What would be your dream job? Something with the arts?

S: “I would love to be a cosmetologist or a florist. I really like makeup and flowers; I’m always watching YouTube makeup tutorials and I can’t help but smile in a flower shop.”

suzanne copy Dwyer (middle) Courtesy of Dwyer’s facebook

C: Have you been involved with theatrical arts?

S: “Yes, I went to a liberal arts high school; I wrote and directed an original show during my senior year of high school. It was called For the Love of a Daughter and was about family love; it won first place and I’m so very proud of it. I started doing behind the scenes in theatre in the fourth grade; I stage managed two musicals, including Annie. I learned how to enjoy the arts in high school through acting and directing. My favorite play was Fiddler on the Roof because of the energy in the acting and music.

C: Do you have a life motto?

S: “Yes, it’s my Instagram bio, which is a quote from Mother Theresa, ‘Not all of us can do great things, but we can all do small things with great love.’ It reminds me that even if I’m doing something small that doesn’t seem super important, it could be important to someone else. Everything goes a long way.”