Thank you, Denise

Denise

Photo by Mike Andrews

ALEX BARTLOW | abartlow@butler.edu | Opinion Columnist

In life, we are rarely inspired by another. But when I spoke with Denise Kimbrough, a lifelong resident of Indianapolis, Indiana, I was truly touched.

Kimbrough, most commonly referred to as Denise, currently works as a cashier at Butler’s C-Club in Atherton Union. However, she is much more than a cashier to many of the students here at Butler.

She’s their second mom.

Throughout Kimbrough’s three-year tenure at Butler, she has greatly impacted the way we see our food services staff.

Rather than just fulfilling her duties at the register, she is more than ready to offer her kindness, compassion and words of encouragement to students.

Students, like myself, are thankful Kimbrough takes an interest in our lives.

Still, it is easy to forget that Kimbrough has a life away from campus as well.

Unfortunately, she has experienced personal hardships recently.

Before Kimbrough came to Butler, she worked for 31 years with her father and brother in their family business, Kimbrough Rubbish Removal.

Within the past two years, both her father, who suffered from prostate cancer, and her brother, who suffered from congestive heart failure, passed away.

Although many urged her to take a few weeks off after the deaths, Kimbrough was reluctant to do so for one specific reason.

“(Butler students) make my day,” Kimbrough said.  “I can feel gloomy and just be emotional, and you guys will come in and say, ‘Oh, you need a hug, Ms. Denise.’”

Kimbrough is proof that one small act of kindness can lift someone’s spirits.

I’m proud that my peers at Butler care about the people who are sometimes forgotten.

When asked if she had a message for the students here at Butler, Kimbrough replied in a cheerful manner.

“I love all of you,” Kimbrough said. “I really, really do.”

Denise Kimbrough is a true example of a caring woman who will do whatever it takes in order to brighten the day of another person.

It is important to take the time and honor those around us, because those who are worth our time may be gone tomorrow.