Voyeurism reported on campus

EMILY WILLIAMS
STAFF REPORTER

The Butler University Police Department is investigating an incident of voyeurism that took place last Thursday in Jordan Hall.
Voyeurism is the sexual interest of spying on another who is doing something of a private matter.
A female student was on the third floor of Jordan Hall using the restroom last Thursday when she saw a cell phone placed under the stall dividers. She left the restroom and waited outside for the person to come out, according to BUPD’s report of the incident.
As a man came out of the bathroom she confronted him, yelling, “What do you think you are doing?”
The man looked at her, froze, and then fled to the west stairs of Jordan Hall.
The student immediately called BUPD, who arrived within minutes of the call.
“Officers were on the scene and checked all over, but he was gone,” BUPD detective Bruce Allee said.
Allee said he believes the suspect at-large is not a Butler student.
“She did not recognize him. It is possible (the suspect was a Butler student), but I think he was probably from a different college campus, or just happened to be of college age,” Allee said. “I would be surprised if a Butler student would do that on our campus.”
The timely warning sent out Nov. 8 to the Butler campus described the suspect as a white male, 18-20 years old, 6’0 tall, of thin build, with curly hair. He was wearing dark, thick-framed glasses, a grey hooded sweatshirt, olive-colored pants and dark canvas tennis shoes.
BUPD has contacted the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department for any previous arrests for voyeurism.
Allee said these files will take a while to go through and compare to the instance of voyeurism on Butler’s campus.
“We will file the highest charges against him and as many charges as possible,” Allee said. “We take this very seriously.”
Allee said the sitation was handled well by the female student.
“The potential of what could have happened frightens me more then what happened,” Allee said, “She was very smart about it and knew she had to get herself out of the bathroom quickly.”
Allee said it is important for Butler students to look out for fellow classmates.
“The main thing is for students to be aware of their surroundings,” Allee said, “when they feel they may be in a vulnerable situation.”
Freshman Liz Jansen said reading the email was somewhat alarming.
“I think that it is important to be aware of your surroundings. If you see something suspicious, tell someone,” Jansen said. “Whether that be a friend or BUPD, speak up.
“Traveling in pairs and going places with friends are always a good idea. Be a good friend and look out for them.”
Allee said he urges students to take advantage of safety services provided by BUPD.
“BUPD is always available for escorts any time of the day,” Allee said. “It is never an inconvenience or problem to make sure students get from once place to another safely.”

Tags ,