Policy to be discussed at Faculty Senate Meeting

COLIN LIKAS | EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Butler University’s first Faculty Senate meeting is scheduled for Sept. 10. It appears group members already have an impactful topic to discuss.

Butler’s Board of Trustees approved changes to the school’s tuition remission and exchange policy for faculty and staff last December.

The old remission policy allowed for Butler employees and their spouses, domestic partners and dependents receive an education at Butler at 100 percent tuition remission.

Faculty Senate will use at least part of its first meeting of the academic year to obtain opinions on the changes.

Janis Crawford, director of forensics, sent an email to College of Communication faculty and staff Aug. 28 regarding the discussion.

Included were the policy changes and a request for all opinions on the matter be sent to her or associate professor Carolyn Richie so they could pass thoughts on at the meeting.

The employee needed to work at Butler for nine consecutive months before this could apply to him or her.

Now, employees are applicable for this remission one year after starting employment at Butler, but tuition remission is 50 percent instead of 100 percent.

After three full years of employment, the employee is applicable for 100 percent tuition remission.

There are credit hour requirements for all who are applicable for the policy.

Changes to the tuition exchange program are still being explored, according to the document sent to College of Communication faculty.

The Faculty Senate meeting will take place Sept. 10 at 8 a.m. in room 156 of the Pharmacy Building.

Look for a full report on the policy changes and the Faculty Senate discussion in next week’s issue of The Collegian.