Club swimming: Swim club wins championship

Butler’s club swim team is the state champions after it teamed up with the Indy Aquatic Masters in the Greater Indiana Masters Swimming state meet.

This is the second year in a row the Butler team has chosen to compete with Indy Aquatic Masters at state and the second straight year the team has won.

The Butler women on the team contributed to the victory in big ways.

Junior Julia Harris, the club’s president, was the state runner-up in the 100 breaststroke and 100 IM.

“It’s always nice when your hard work pays off and gets recognized,” Harris said.

Harris said she swam competitively in high school but was burnt out from swimming and wanted to just have some fun.

She was part of the 200 medley relay and the 200  freestyle relay, both of which won state titles.

Senior Kristyn Watts was runner-up in the 100 fly. She was part of the 200  medley relay and 200 freestyle relay with Harris.

“I am glad that we were able to accomplish our goals,” Watts said. “In swimming it is a great feeling when you can accomplish goals as an individual and as a team.”

Michelle Landfair was also part of the 200 medley relay that won the state title. She said she couldn’t allow herself to get away from swimming.

“I didn’t have time to actually be a part of the actual team, but I couldn’t give it up,” Landfair said.

All three of the participants enjoyed being on the team and hope to keep bringing in new swimmers.

The championship was an accomplishment that they said will help bring more women to the team in coming years.

“We are trying to grow and attract more people for next year’s team,” Harris said. “This is a great recruiting tool for us to have.”

The  team will also compete in the upcoming Masters National Championship. The meet will be held in Indianapolis and is being hosted by Indy Aquatic Masters.