Fresh food delights at Monon

Monon Food Company is a small eclectic restaurant a short walk down the Monon Trail from the busy main strip of Broad Ripple. It offers a wide variety of different food selections and is open for lunch and dinner.

The restaurant itself is small, with most tables packed tightly together, resulting in a somewhat claustrophobic feel. There are also two dining areas, one with traditional tables and a smaller one with high tables and bar stools.

This seating arrangement was slightly inconvenient, as the high top tables were much less comfortable and far too close to the entrance and waiting area.

The restaurant is small and can seem a little cramped during busy times, like Sunday brunch.

During brunch, the restaurant was full, with several groups waiting to be seated. The family-friendly atmosphere attracted many larger groups with small children and many of the guests seemed to be regulars.

One of the signature dishes is the Tim’s Chipotle Fish Taco, made with tilapia fillets, guacamole, salsa, cabbage and chipotle mayo. It is a popular choice, as it could frequently be seen carried around on serving trays.

Its selection of locally brewed beers are also popular with its customers, along with the other nationally known brands.

Monon Food Company has several different menus, including a regular menu, taco menu, brunch menu, and beer and wine menu. Brunch is served Saturdays and Sundays between 8:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The Brunch menu includes staples such as eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes and French toast. Most entrees, both on the brunch and regular menus, are less than $10.

The Village Platter is a traditional mix of eggs, a choice of sausage, bacon or steak, breakfast potatoes and an English muffin or toast.

The bacon is cooked to a perfect crisp, and the potatoes are fried with pepper and spices. The eggs, while also good, had a slight maple flavor from the cooking equipment.

A very different dish, the Monon Granola Trio, is a generous helping of vanilla yogurt topped with granola and fresh fruit.

For the most part, the dish as a whole tasted great, despite the somewhat unequal distribution in the amounts of the ingredients. The texture of the dried fruit in the granola also didn’t correspond well with the fresh fruit in the dish.

Monon Food Company serves food that is not only delicious, but healthy. Everything is cooked in extra-virgin olive oil, and the restaurant doesn’t use hydrogenated oils or own a deep fryer.

Monon Food Company is located at 65th St. and Cornell Ave. During the winter, their hours are: Tuesday-Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday; Sunday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.