Bon Appetit offers six new on-campus dining options

The ResCo dining hall now serves alcohol to students of legal age. Photo courtesy of Bon Appetit.

EMILY SCHLORF | STAFF REPORTER | eschlorf@butler.edu

Bon Appetit, Butler’s new dining service provider, has changed the food offered on campus and added cafes in the Lacy School of Business building as well as the HRC. Students will have several dining options this semester including the Atherton Marketplace, the Lacy Business Building Cafe, Starbucks, ResCo dining hall, the nutrition cafe at the HRC and Tripp’s Corner Cafe at Apartment Village. C-Club, now under renovation, will reopen in November with the new name, Plum Market.

“Butler is a very unique place,” Mark Daniels, transition manager for Bon Appetit, said. “[Butler] requires a unique approach to doing business, a unique approach to food and service.” 

After the closing of Scotty’s Dawghouse and Metro Diner this year, many students, like junior pharmacy major Andres Huerta, have voiced concerns about food options on campus.

“I don’t think there have been enough options of different foods,” Huerta said. “I am more confident in the quality of food at Atherton though.” 

Marketplace at Atherton Union 

Not much has changed concept-wise at the Marketplace in Atherton, besides the quality of food, Daniels said. Atherton will continue to take meal plan swipes, also known as blocks, as payment.  

There are still a variety of food options at the Marketplace, such as the “explore station,” which features multicultural cuisine, the “satisfied station,” which has comfort food, and “spiced,” which is centered around Latin American dishes.

There are also permanent stations that offer deli sandwiches, hamburgers and black-bean burgers, baked desserts and a salad bar. 

Twenty percent of Bon Appetit’s food is locally sourced within a 150 mile radius. CUE Farm, a student-run and on-campus produce farm, is one of the sources of fresh produce.

Lacy School of Business Cafe

The cafe in Lacy School of Business offers locally-sourced coffee from Julian’s Coffee Roasters, pastries from Illinois St. Food Emporium, hot breakfast sandwiches, grab-and-go chef-prepared salads and protein bowls. The cafe takes flex dollars and blocks, which are like daily meal swipes. The business building cafe is also the only place on campus that serves nitro brew coffee. 

ResCo Dining Hall

The ResCo dining hall is now a retail a-la-carte cafe with six stations, including a station that sells beer and wine. There will also be a small convenience store which will sell packaged grab-and-go foods and chef-prepared sandwiches. ResCo will take blocks, flex dollars and Dawg Bucks. 

Plum Market at C-Club: under construction until Nov. 1

Plum Market at C-Club is a grocery store-turned-convenience-store expected to open Nov. 1. Plum Market will take meal swipes, flex dollars and Dawg Bucks. 

Plum Market is currently under construction, but when it opens, it will sell grocery items like produce in addition to packaged food products that students can buy off the shelves. There will also be a Hubbard and Cravens coffee stand, a hot food line and salad bar. 

Nutrition Cafe at HRC

The HRC will offer a small convenience store in the front of the building, next to the welcome desk. The Nutrition Cafe opens Aug. 28. The cafe will not take blocks. Instead, flex dollars and Dawg Bucks can be used. 

“Our dietitian and chefs have worked closely together to create a store targeted to the audience at the HRC: people who are going to work out, or have just finished working out, ” Daniels said. 

Snacks like Lara Bars and Kind Bars will be sold in the Nutrition Cafe, in addition to chef-prepared salads, sandwiches, parfaits and drip coffee. 

Tripp’s Corner Market 

Tripp’s Corner Market is located in the Dawghouse at AV. This market is similar to Plum Market at C-Club and sells snacks, frozen items, bottled beverages, grocery options and even toiletries. Tripp’s Corner Market will take flex dollars and Dawg Bucks.

New Dining Plans

Blocks, or meal swipes, included in the Community Block meal plan can be used at Plum Market, ResCo, Lacy School of Business Cafe and the Marketplace at Atherton. 

The options for Block meals allow for portability and convenience. This plan is flexible and permits students to get food fast if they don’t have time to sit at Atherton in between classes. 

Katie Brownlee, a junior elementary education major, have already noticed a difference in the food served at Atherton.

“There are loads of new and unique options this year,” Brownlee said. “I see that they do a very good job at making sure there are options for dietary restrictions and choices.”

Cambria Khayat, a sophomore international studies and economics double major, said she likes the food in the Atherton better this year.

“I feel that they have a lot more options for dietary restrictions,” Khayat said. “There are reusable cups by the ice cream machine, which is quite possibly one of the most incredible changes I’ve seen on Butler’s campus in the past year.”

Daniels said while there are many new dining options and concepts, Bon Appetit will take the opportunity to listen to students and get feedback regarding each facility and what types of food are sold at each dining hall, marketplace and cafe.