Butler Sports Weekly Recap

Freshman midfielder/defender Amelie Darey headed home the opener for the Bulldogs in a 2-1 win over Providence on Sept. 29. Photo by Claire Runkel.

KOBE MOSLEY | MANAGING EDITOR | kmosley@butler.edu

Thursday, Sept. 29

Women’s soccer at Providence

The Butler women’s soccer team secured their first conference win of the season with a 2-1 road victory over Providence. In the 17th minute, first-year midfielder and defender Amelie Darey scored her first career goal to put the Dawgs up 1-0. In the second period, first-year midfielder Talia Sommer scored a breakaway goal in the 66th minute — her third goal of the season. The Friars would score in the 86th minute, but the Bulldogs were able to stave off a tie. Butler, now 4-6-1, will play again on Oct. 6 against Villanova at the Bud and Jackie Sellick Bowl. 

Friday, Sept. 30 

Men’s and women’s cross country at Joe Piane Invitational 

In a highly competitive field, the men and women placed sixth and 14th, respectively, in the Joe Piane Invitational. For the men, graduate student Barry Keane led the 24th-ranked Bulldogs with a ninth-place finish and a time of 23:30.2. Redshirt sophomore Jesse Hamlin also posted a top-20 finish, coming in 16th with a time of 23:44.0. For the women’s side, redshirt senior Mia Beckham led the Bulldogs with a 40th-place finish and a time of 16:51.5. Both the men and women will be back in action on Oct. 15 for Pre-Nationals at Oklahoma State University. 

Women’s volleyball at No. 21 Creighton

Butler women’s volleyball was unable to upset No. 21 Creighton on the road, as they suffered a 3-0 loss to the Bluejays — 15-25, 16-25, 17-25. Sophomore middle blocker Amina Shackelford and sophomore outside hitter Mariah Grunze led the Bulldogs in kills with 11 each. First-year Cora Taylor was two digs shy of a double-double, finishing with 26 assists and 8 digs. 

Men’s soccer at Marquette 

The Butler men’s soccer team remains undefeated in Big East play with a 3-1 win at Marquette. Senior forward Wilmer Cabrera Jr. struck first for the Bulldogs with a strike off the left foot in the 31st minute. First-year forward Palmer Ault scored his seventh and eighth goals of the season in the contest, adding to the lead at the 53rd and 86th-minute marks, respectively. For their play, Cabrera Jr. was named Big East offensive player of the week, and Ault was named Big East freshman of the week. The Bulldogs face Georgetown next at the Bud and Jackie Sellick Bowl on Oct. 5. 

Saturday, Oct. 1

Football at Davidson

Butler football was shutout for the first time this year in a 31-0 defeat to Davidson. After forcing two punts and two turnover-on-downs in the first half, Butler only trailed by three points at halftime. In the second half, however, the Bulldogs allowed four touchdowns on four straight possessions. The running attack for the Wildcats was unstoppable, nearly eclipsing 500 yards. For Butler, redshirt junior quarterback Bret Bushka threw for 150 passing yards and also led the team in rushing with 102 yards on the ground. Butler will host Dayton for their annual “Pink Out” game on Oct. 8. 

Sunday, Oct. 2 

Women’s volleyball at Xavier 

The Bulldogs blew a 2-0 lead and lost on the road 3-2 to Xavier. After winning the first two sets — 25-21, 26-24 — the Musketeers won three straight sets — 25-21, 25-19, 15-11. Sophomore outside hitter Mariah Grunze and sophomore middle blocker Amina Shackelford both posted double-doubles in the contest; Grunze with 14 kills, 11 digs, and Shackelford with 47 assists, 14 digs. Junior libero Jaymeson Kinley made program history by compiling the second-most digs in a single match with a career-high 42. Butler drops to 7-9 on the season and will return home to play Georgetown on Oct. 7. 

Monday, Oct. 3

Men’s golf at Tom Tontimonia Invitational

After the first day of play at the Tom Tontimonia Invitational, Butler placed fourth out of 13 teams. The team collectively put up a score of 584, led by first-year Connor McNeely and sophomore Damon Dickey. McNeely shot a 72 and tied for fifth while Dickey shot a 73 and tied for 10th. 

Women’s golf at Butler Fall Invitational

Following the first 18 holes of play at the Butler Fall Invitational, the Bulldogs are collectively tied for fourth place with a score of 622. Sophomore Madalin Small leads Butler in 12th place with a score of 154. Right behind Small are two Bulldogs tied for 13th place — junior Alaina Bowie and sophomore Katie Steinman

Tuesday, Oct. 4

The men’s golf team earned a second-place finish in the Tom Tontimonia Invitational. First-year Will Horne set a new program record with a score of 65 and finished tied for 22nd with fellow first-year teammate Connor McNeely. Sophomore Damon Dickey shot a 70 on Tuesday, placing him tied for fifth. Butler will be back in action on Oct. 10 at the Xavier Invitational.

The women’s golf team finished fourth in the Butler Fall Invitational. The Bulldogs were led by junior Alaina Bowie, who placed tied for ninth on the individual leaderboard. The Bulldogs’ next event is on Oct. 15 at Pre-Nationals in Stillwater, Okla.