Butler men’s soccer defeats Marquette 3-1

Fifth-year midfielder Jack Haywood fights for possession of the ball in the game against Indiana on Sept.14. Photo by Claire Runkel.

JAKE KAUFMAN | SPORTS REPORTER | jfkaufman@butler.edu

The Butler men’s soccer team defeated Marquette 3-1 at the Valley Fields on Friday night. The Bulldogs improve to 6-2-1 on the season and 2-0-1 in Big East play after the win over the Golden Eagles. 

The game started off slow, with both teams combining for one shot on goal and just six total shots in the first 28 minutes. 

The momentum would change in the 31st minute, after a pass from Butler redshirt senior Jack Streberger deflected off a Marquette defender, Butler senior forward Wilmer Cabrera Jr. corralled the loose ball and powered a left-footed shot into the right side of the net, giving Butler a 1-0 lead. 

Butler controlled possession for the rest of the first half, outshooting Marquette 6-2 over the final 14 minutes. 

Butler carried their momentum into the second half by generating a scoring opportunity just minutes in the 48th minute. First-year forward and reigning Big East Player of the Week Palmer Ault took a pass from redshirt junior defenseman DJ Hooks and fired a shot that hit off the crossbar. Streberger got to the rebound and put it back on net, but it was stopped by Marquette goalkeeper Chandler Hallwood

Less than five minutes later, Hooks headed the ball to Cabrera Jr., who sent it ahead to Ault who turned and delivered a dribbler past Hallwood to increase Butler’s lead to 2-0. 

Butler would again increase the pressure following their score, limiting Marquette to two shots over the next 16 minutes. 

Marquette showed late signs of life in the 73rd minute, when Butler fifth-year defenseman Rico Hollenkamp was only able partially deflect a long Marquette pass up ahead. Marquette defenseman Diegoarmando Alvarado picked up the deflection and fired a shot that just barely beat Butler goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji to cut the Bulldog’s lead to 2-1. 

Marquette was unable to find a chance to even up the score as Butler spent minutes of the clock playing keep-a-way.

In the 86th minute, Ault took a pass from Cabrera Jr. and fired another shot into the back of the net, putting the game away for Butler. 

Alan Salmeron and Mitar Mitrovic both picked up yellow cards for Marquette in the 27th and 89th minutes respectively, while Joost de Schutter picked up Butler’s only yellow in the 55th minute. 

The Bulldogs outshot the Golden Eagles 21-11 with seven of the shots going on goal compared to four shots on goal for Marquette.

Ault’s two tallies were his seventh and eight goals of the season, recording his third consecutive brace in the process. 

Cabrera Jr.’s goal was his fourth of the season and the 21st of his career, while his second and third assists of the season increased his career total to 11. 

Butler improves to 6-5-1 all-time vs Marquette. 

The Bulldogs’ next game will be against Georgetown as they return home to Indianapolis to play their fourth game of conference play on Wednesday, Oct. 30.