How to Adult: Staying in shape

The HRC recently put in new workout equipment. Photo by Mason Lovett.

FARRAH GOODALL | STAFF REPORTER | fgoodall@butler.edu

With a new year and new semester upon us, it is no surprise there are New Year’s resolutions and goals that students are attempting to complete. These resolutions commonly include exercising in hopes of incorporating a healthier lifestyle. However, maintaining this resolution is not as simple as it sounds, considering the already busy schedules of college students.  Luckily, the Collegian has a few tips for fitting in a trip to the HRC into your schedule.

Group Fitness

If working out alone is not an option because you have no idea how to work out, the HRC has group fitness classes, taught by qualified instructors for 45 minutes. There are many different options including yoga, cycling and Zumba.

Christa Asbury, a building supervisor at the HRC and a senior economics major, recommends taking classes especially if you do not have a workout partner.

“The classes are helpful because there is a tendency to take those five to 10 minute breaks when you work out alone, which is not productive,” Asbury said. “The classes make sure you exercise continuously.”

Intramural Sports

Another option for fun, group fitness is joining an intramural team. There is an activity for everyone since choices range from basketball and flag football to euchre and sports trivia.

Grant Baker, an intramural supervisor and junior pharmacy major said he encourages intramural participation either as player or staff member.

“Intramurals are a great way to get a workout in while hanging out with friends in a competitive and friendly environment,” Baker said. “Not to mention, it is a stress reliever and a study break. The intramural staff as a whole is a big family, and it makes the whole environment a lot of fun to be a part of.”

Whether it is a basketball team or lawn game team, joining intramurals can help you stay fit, meet those New Year’s goals and increase the time you get to spend with friends outside of the classroom.

Incentives

If you have decided to stick with the traditional route of staying in shape, the HRC has a few new machines and tools to help you reach those personal fitness goals. The treadmills have been upgraded to include built in televisions and bluetooth. The ability to log in with Netflix, Hulu and other streaming capabilities will make working out feel like you never even left your bedroom.

Originally, only the cardio level treadmills had TVs, but constant maintenance on several machines led to all new treadmills.

“Now all the treadmills have TVs which is a good excuse to come to the gym,” Asbury said.

According to an expert answer from Mayo Clinic, the general goal should be at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day. Every student should have at least 30 minutes to spare for the HRC which will make meeting those fitness goals really easy.

The busiest times at the HRC are after 2 p.m. and especially between 5 to 8 p.m. If you are looking to get in and out, try to get there between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.