Butler vs. Detroit Mercy: What you need to know

Paul Jorgensen drives to the basket. Jorgensen and the Bulldogs host Detroit Mercy on Nov. 12. Jimmy Lafakis/Collegian file photo. 

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

After a season-opening win against Miami (OH), the Butler men’s basketball team welcomes Detroit Mercy to Hinkle Fieldhouse. Here’s what you need to know heading into the matchup.

Who: Butler vs. Detroit Mercy

When: Nov. 12, 6:30 p.m.

Where: Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana

How to Watch/Listen: FS1, 107.5 FM / 1070 AM

The battle down low

Detroit Mercy is off to an 0-2 start due, in large part, to their inability to win the battle in the paint. Against Western Michigan and Temple, the Titans lost both the rebounding and points in the paint by a considerable margin. On the flip side, Joey Brunk and the Bulldogs outscored Miami by 26 points in the paint in their first contest. With both Brunk and Nate Fowler standing two inches taller than the tallest player on Detroit Mercy’s roster, a win for the Bulldogs should include a dominant performance within 10 feet of the basket. In other words, don’t be surprised if Brunk backs up his 17 points on 7-7 shooting with an equally impressive performance.

No one can stop Antoine Davis

The Titans might be 0-2, but they have one of the most explosive scorers in the country. Antoine Davis, a 6-foot-1-inch guard, is 10th in the country in scoring, averaging 31.0 points per game. He’s already made 12 threes and is shooting 44 percent from beyond the arc. If there was one point of criticism for Butler after their first game, it was their 3-point defense, especially in the first half. Davis will punish the Bulldogs if perimeter defense is lacking again.

Take better care of the basketball

Despite Butler’s 22-point win over Miami (OH), Kamar Baldwin struggled to take care of the ball, committing five turnovers. Obviously, he did a lot of things well against the Redhawks, dropping 21 points and dishing out six dimes. However, at times, he would hold onto the ball just a few seconds too long, resulting in turnovers. Taking care of the basketball will make coming away with a win much easier against a team that is forcing 16 turnovers per game.