Homecoming 2018 preview: this year’s events and what to expect

Hinkle Fieldhouse Collegian Staff File Photo. 

JASMINE SMITH | STAFF REPORTER | jgsmith1@butler.edu

Homecoming 2018 is finally here. This year’s homecoming will take place this Friday through Sunday. Many events leading up to the football game versus the Morehead State Eagles on Saturday are free and open to students with Butler IDs.

Homecoming is a time for alumni to return to their stomping grounds. It’s also a time for faculty and current students to socialize while showing their Bulldog pride.

Scott Bridge ’82, an electronic journalism professor and College of Communication internship director, said the school does a good job organizing the weekend.

“Homecoming was a big deal back then, but Butler didn’t have near as many planned events as they have now,” Bridge said.

One positive change, Bridge said, is that Butler no longer has a king and queen, but instead has gender-inclusive homecoming royalties.

Another recently added homecoming activity is the Bulldog Beauty contest, which is hosted by Trip. Members of the Butler community dress up their bulldogs in Butler gear and other costumes to strut the runway.

Junior accounting major Sean Thomas said he enjoys watching the bulldogs have their moment during the contest.

“It amps up what’s going to be happening the rest the day,” Thomas said.

Greek life also plays a prominent role during the homecoming celebration. Greek houses embrace several festivities including lawn decorations, Yell Like Hell and alumni activities.

As a student, Bridge said his favorite part of homecoming was getting together with his Delta Tau Delta fraternity brothers and enjoying a full day of festivities. Bridge remembers spending the morning at the fraternity house, meeting alumni as they stopped by, then going to the tailgate and football game.

This year Bridge will be enjoying homecoming at the CCOM tailgate. He began teaching at Butler in 1988 and said he loves seeing alumni bring their children old enough to attend Butler to the CCOM tailgate.

The CCOM tailgate is a favorite of Courtney Sweeney, senior human communications and organizational leadership major. She said she feels the different college tailgates are a great event for first-year students who aren’t certain where to go during homecoming.

“It’s really awesome to be a part of a university that gets a community of people together so well,” Sweeney said.

She said she hopes students stop by their college’s tailgate and enjoy the heaps of food and making new connections. Her favorite homecoming was her sophomore year because she was so heavily involved. Then, Sweeney was captain of the Ross team.

Every homecoming, each residence hall is teamed with a Greek organization on campus. Teams participate and compete in various events leading up to homecoming that demonstrate their school spirit.

Sweeney said she appreciates the students’ teams because they connect people who wouldn’t normally get a chance to interact with each other.

“Homecoming is so great because it brings people together,” Sweeney said.

Below is a list of free homecoming events that bring the Butler community together. For a full list of scheduled Homecoming 2018 events, visit www.butler.edu/homecoming.

Thursday, Sept. 27

Yell Like Hell –  8 p.m. at Hinkle Fieldhouse

See the Homecoming teams showcase their Butler spirit. Who will take home the victory?

Friday, Sept. 28

Capes for Kids Service Event – 5 to 7 p.m. in Reilly Room, Atherton Union

Everyone is welcome to construct capes for the St. Vincent Children’s Foundation during Butler’s Homecoming service project of the year.

State of the University Address – 3:30 p.m. at Schrott Center for the Arts

President Danko will speak on Butler’s progression and accomplishments and will address what the future holds.

Saturday, Sept. 29

Butler Bulldog Beauty Contest – 9:30 a.m. at Hinkle Fieldhouse Parking Lot

During this favorite of Homecoming, bulldogs and their owners dress up in costumes and walk the runway. Hosted by Blue III a.k.a. Trip.

Food Truck Festival – 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Along 49th St., Hinkle Fieldhouse Parking Lot

Byrnes Grilled Pizza, Gaucho’s Fire, Slider Station, and Beach Bum Barbecue will be available

Butler Colleges Tailgates – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Bulldog Boulevard, Hinkle Fieldhouse

Student Spirit Parade – 11:30a.m., Starts at 46th St. and Sunset Ave., going North on Sunset Ave. and ending at the Sellick Bowl

Student group pairings will showcase their lawn decorations. This event also features the BU Cheerleaders, Hink and Trip.

Butler Bulldogs vs. Morehead State Eagles football game – 1 p.m.