Irvington House officially opens with ribbon cutting ceremony

KRYSTA SMITH | STAFF REPORTER | knsmith2@butler.edu

Sept. 13 marked the official opening of Irvington House as a ribbon cutting ceremony for the building was held with many special guests in attendance.

During the ceremony, Butler University President James Danko and Frank Ross, vice president of student affairs, made remarks, along with important figures such as Jay Sandhu, the board of trustees chairman, and other representatives from student life and American Campus Communities.

“It sure is a beautiful day to be a Bulldog,” Ross said during his remarks. “Irvington is a significant development and a milestone for Butler University.”

Housing 647 individuals, the new dorm encompasses many interior amenities such as conference rooms, a shared kitchen, fitness room, private lounging and study spaces. Also included in the new residence hall are exterior amenities like a courtyard with a garden and firepit.

During the ceremony, Murjanatu Mutuwa, senior resident assistant and strategic communications major, expressed her love for the new building.

“Today is bittersweet as this used to be Schwitzer, but Irvington is so much bigger than a building,” Mutuwa said. “I have a lot of hope for it”.

Irvington is the newest completed addition to Butler. To some students like Erin Martin, first-year elementary education major, it is much more than a new building.

“I love it here” Martin said. “It’s a welcoming environment and a home away from home.”