Five places for students to visit in Indy to celebrate the holidays

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

MADI MCGUIRE | OPINION COLUMNIST | mjmcguir@butler.edu

Indianapolis is full of wonderful holiday events every college student should see. I have compiled a list of my top five holiday attractions in the area. There is no reason you should stay inside and be bored on campus this holiday season.

1. The Circle of Lights: The Soldier’s and Sailor’s Monument on Monument Circle is lit by strands of christmas lights in the shape of a tree. This is something that you and your friends can go visit for free while on a trip downtown. Monument Circle also has the South Bend Chocolate Cafe with assorted chocolates, drinks and ice cream. Rocket Fizz, a candy shop on the circle, has more candy than you could ever imagine.  The lights turn on when it gets dark and are usually up until the first week of January. 

2. Christmas at the Zoo: The Indianapolis Zoo is illuminated with lights on most every tree. The dolphin show is still in full effect, along with the forest area and the desert area. There are actual reindeer named Anna and Elsa. Tickets are $11.70 and totally worth the scenery and a spot on Santa’s lap, of course. Christmas at the Zoo will be open, with the exception of a few days, until Dec. 30.

3. Lights at the Brickyard: The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has more than 40 scenes of light displays within the speedway. You drive through IMS for this 1.7 mile stretch of holiday magic. Tickets are $20-$30 per car, which means you can fill up your car with friends, and split the price to make it cheap. This is the first year that the IMS has put on this event, and it is totally worth the trip. Lights will be on display until Dec. 31.

4. Christmas at the Lilly House: The Lilly House is located in the gardens at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. During the holidays, the mansion is decorated to show how Christmas was celebrated and fulfilled during wartime and the Great Depression. Flowers and holiday scents fill every room. Butler students have access to free memberships with the IMA, which makes this a budget-friendly experience. The house is open during normal IMA hours.

5. Holiday Adventures at Conner Prairie: Conner Prairie celebrates Christmas like it is 1836, and the workers reenact how Christmas looked during that time. There is also a Gingerbread Village that is filled with gingerbread houses and other creations. Conner Prairie is very historic and admission is only $8. The holiday adventures operate within the normal Conner Prairie hours of 10 am to 5 pm and until Dec. 31.

Go out and explore Indianapolis, take advantage of student discounts and find even more events in which you and your friends can participate. Indianapolis is full of holiday cheer and we just happen to be right in the middle of it all.