Free fun ahead: Things to do around Indianapolis

Photo courtesy of Indiana Central Canal Wikipedia

GABBY MOLINE | ASST. CULTURE EDITOR | gmoline@butler.edu

The stereotypical college student is usually seen as poor and stressed. Luckily for Butler students, there are many low-cost options in Indianapolis to have fun and relax.

c6bpemuw

Photo courtesy of BU Good Clean Fun’s Twitter

For those who want to look for inexpensive ways to have fun on campus over the weekends, BU Good Clean Fun advertises ideas on their social media pages. BU Good Clean Fun is made of a diverse group of students who post about everything from sporting to culture events. The group is open to suggestions for their pages and is always looking for new members.

Sarah Diaz, associate director of Health Education and Outreach Programs, is the advisor for this organization. Diaz said it is important to provide inexpensive, fun alternatives for those who do not participate in the weekend party scene.

“Stay tuned to BU Good Clean Fun,” Diaz said. “There’s been a lot of stuff coming out that the students have clued into and are excited to share.”

If students are looking to unwind off campus, the Indianapolis Museum of Art offers free memberships to Butler students. The trails and gardens outside the facility are calming after a full week of classes and activities. The free wifi in the museum also provides a great way to study in a serene environment.

The Indianapolis Children’s Museum lets those enrolled full-time or part-time in an Indiana college or university enjoy the museum for free on Sundays. This offer is good with a valid student ID through Dec. 18.

Although the name says it is for children, the museum is fun for all ages. It features real NASA equipment, famous props from feature films and many selfie opportunities.

Sophomore Mackenzie Thompson expressed enthusiasm about the college student offer.  

“I think it’s important that people don’t lose their imagination,” Thompson said.

Indianapolis has Monument Circle, as well as numerous shops, events and festivals. For the students on campus who don’t have a car, IndyGo is a new transportation option.

Students can find something to do on Indy’s First Fridays, which are a variety of events offered at discounted rates for that day only. For example, a food truck festival happens every first Friday of the month from June through October.

Jeremy Moore, associate director of Parking and Transportation Services at Butler, is involved with the IndyGo process on campus.

“I think that this a great way to get access to the rest of the city,” Moore said.

IndyGo buses come onto campus every 15 minutes and cost only $1.75 for a one-way pass. Students can purchase monthly passes in the Pulse office for $30.

The routes come in from 49th Street down to Sunset Avenue and out on 46th Street or vice-versa. This can get students to places like Broad Ripple, Keystone at the Crossing and downtown.

The IndyGo website details real-time arrival and route information.

Although college can be expensive, having fun and relaxing does not have to be.