New events bring crowds

Butler University Homecoming featured new events for alumni and current students.

New to this year’s events included Behind the Scenes at Hinkle Fieldhouse, Butler Couples Commitment Blessing and Butler Homecoming Food Truck Festival.

Nikki Mazelin, director of alumni and parent programs, said the Behind the Scenes at Hinkle Fieldhouse event had good turnout.

Mazelin said around 15 couples were in attendance at the Couples Commitment Blessing –—a ceremony at the Carillon for couples who met their significant other at Butler or who have a connection to Butler.

“The couples that were there all seemed very appreciative, thought it was a great idea and would like it to continue, as would we,” she said.

Mazelin also said the food truck festival went very well.

The Flying Cupcake came with 300 cupcakes and left with one. The Der Pretzel Wagen truck sold out of pretzels with an hour and a half of time left on campus.

Streets were closed for the Bulldog Beauty Contest, the parade and chariot races on Saturday.

Cars parked in restricted areas were towed.

Assistant Police Chief Bill Weber said alumni were encouraged to park at The Riviera Club, where a shuttle could take them to campus.

Mazelin said Homecoming is a big draw for alumni.

“Homecoming is great because it brings alumni back to campus and helps strengthen their tie to Butler,” Mazelin said.

One activity alumni participated in was wine tasting Friday night in the Holcomb Observatory, put on by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Friday night also included class  reunions.

The class of 2007 celebrated its five-year reunion at the Red Room in Broad Ripple, and the class of 2002 celebrated its 10-year reunion at Moe & Johnny’s in Broad Ripple.

Duke Hamm, a 1981 graduate, came back to partake in activities.

“I come back to relive the greatness of Butler,” Hamm said.

Hamm said he enjoyed the Bulldog Beauty Contest.

Kara Greenup, a 1986 graduate, said participation was great because there was something for everybody.

“We have activities for kids and young couples and returning alumni,” Greenup said. “There is so much to do, I don’t think anybody missed out on having a great time.”