Meet the candidates

The spring 2023 SGA election will be held on March 28. Graphic by Haley Morkert.

ANNIE FAULKNER | NEWS CO-EDITOR | aefaulkn@butler.edu 

Ahead of the Student Government Association’s spring elections on March 28, the candidates for president and vice president, as well as senate candidates, were publicly released on SGA’s Instagram on March 18. Here is a round-up of this year’s candidates. 

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES 

President: Paul Ford II 

Ford is a rising senior and entrepreneurship and innovation major. This is Ford’s third time running for SGA president, having run in 2022 alongside Rami Daas and in 2021 alongside Susanne Howard. Ford served as a senator for the Lacy School of Business during the 2020-21 academic year, and currently serves as the president of Diversity Program Council. 

Vice President: Hadassah Brent 

Brent, a rising junior, is a political science and criminology double major. She currently serves as a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences senator, and this is her first time running on a presidential ticket. 

Instagram: @fordbrentforsga 

President: Abba Smith 

Smith is a rising P3 pharmacy student. Smith has experience working for Panhellenic Association and on the executive board of Kappa Kappa Gamma, but she has not previously been involved with SGA. 

Vice President: Luigi Chirco 

Chirco is a rising senior majoring in marketing. Like Smith, he has no previous SGA experience, but serves as a transfer student orientation guide. 

Instagram: @abba.and.luigi 

President: Katie Stanley 

Stanley is a rising senior and a psychology and religious studies double major. She currently serves as chief of staff for the SGA executive branch and previously served as a Supreme Court justice for SGA. 

Vice President: Suchi Bandaru 

Bandaru is a rising junior and health science major. She currently serves on the SGA executive branch as director of the Diversity, Equity and Student Belonging board and is also the co-president of the South Asian Student Association. She served as the 2022-2023 vice president of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for Kappa Alpha Theta. 

Instagram: @katie.and.suchi 

SENATE CANDIDATES 

* indicates incumbent 

Class of 2024: 

Nicholas Durst* 

Rushda Hussein 

Class of 2025: 

Lauren Stubbs* 

Faith Thompson* 

Class of 2026: 

Justin Deem-Loureiro* 

William Steiner 

Gracie Walls* 

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: 

Zohal Atmar 

Kennedy Culbertson* 

Dylan Noble 

Evan Wareham 

Lacy School of Business: 

Kevin Van Ek 

College of Communication: 

Sydney Haworth 

College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: 

Sadia Khatri* 

Madelyn Siems* 

Two candidates will be elected for each academic class, as well as between one and four candidates for each academic college. At this time, there are no candidates for Jordan College of the Arts or the College of Education. 

The Butler Collegian will continue to follow the 2023 SGA election.