BCR roundup for the rest of the semester

For students still looking for BCR events to attend before the end of the semester, here are some options.

ADDYSON ARCHER | STAFF REPORTER | amarcher@butler.edu

“Eight to graduate” — Butler students are reminded of this as they check off their academic requirements. This phrase refers to the required number of Butler Cultural Requirements, BCRs, all students must attend in order to graduate. For those looking for a few more BCRs to attend, here is a list of all events before the end of the semester. 

Nov. 17: Music at Butler: Butler University Wind Ensemble

7:30 p.m. at Schrott Center for the Arts

The November wind ensemble showcase features music from Mexican, Peruvian, Spanish and American-Latinx composers with spoken word translated in both English and Spanish.

No ticket required.

Nov. 18: Foil Arms & Hog

8:00 p.m. at Clowes Memorial Hall

The Irish sketch group will be performing this Friday. With multiple five-star reviews from critics and over 200 million views online, this group will make for a great night out. 

Tickets can be purchased online.

Nov. 28: Music at Butler: Jordan Jazz

Jordan Jazz will return to present new music, as well as some Christmas themes. A special guest may be featured to sing. 

No ticket required.

Dec. 2: Visiting Writers Series: Jo Ann Beard

7:30 p.m. at South Campus Shelton Auditorium 

Jo Ann Beard is an essayist and creative nonfiction writer, as well as a Guggenheim Fellowship recipient. She is the author of two collections, “Festival Days” and “The Boys of my Youth” — as well as a novel, “In Zanesville.” Beard is the recipient of awards from the Guggenheim Foundation, The American Academy of Arts and Letters, New York Foundation for the Arts and the Whiting Foundation.  She teaches at Sarah Lawrence College in upstate New York.

No ticket required.

Dec. 1-4: Butler Ballet Presents Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker”

Multiple performances at Clowes Memorial Hall

The Butler Ballet is back to present their annual showing of “The Nutcracker.” Music will be featured by the Butler Ballet Orchestra and the Indianapolis Children’s Choir. Matinee and evening performances are offered Dec. 3-4.

Tickets are available online.

Dec. 5: Music at Butler: Benny Golson Jazz Festival

The Benny Golson Jazz Festival is an annual event to celebrate composer and saxophonist Benny Golson who received an honorary doctorate from Butler in 2019. Students and directors registered in the festival will be engaging in activities throughout the day, while the evening performance will be open to the public and feature the Butler University Jazz Ensemble and the Festival Honor Band.

No ticket required.

Dec. 9-10: Music at Butler: Rejoice!

7:30 p.m. at Clowes Memorial Hall

The Butler University Choral Department and School of Music return to present “Rejoice!” The concert will feature over 150 singers and instrumentalists bringing viewers festive songs and anthems. 

No ticket required.

The full calendar of BCR events — going beyond this semester — can be found at events.butler.edu.