Jump into fun fall festivities in the Indianapolis area

Butler students have many opportunities for fall fun around campus. Photo by Grace Hensley.

GIANNA CASSIN | STAFF REPORTER | gcassin@butler.edu

With the changing colors of leaves, Indianapolis offers a variety of activities for Butler students. The weather, which is not too hot and not too cold, is perfect for going out and doing many different activities, many of which cost little to nothing. This list provides a variety of activities that students can either do with friends or alone during the fall time. 

1) Take a walk through campus or on the canal

Starting with the basics, this is something that doesn’t require leaving campus. Taking a walk around campus in the fall is a must. The temperature is not too hot or too cold to be outside for a while, so it can be refreshing to unplug and just take in the fall foliage. 

2) Go to the Broad Ripple Farmers Market 

Supporting local and small businesses is something that can be done year-round, but fall visits to the farmers markets are the perfect opportunity. Strolling around in the cool fall weather of Indianapolis and browsing different sellers is what makes a farmer’s market great. The Broad Ripple Farmers Market is located at Second Presbytarian Church at 7700 N Meridian St. and is open from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. every Saturday through all of October. 

Vanessa Campbell, a sophomore exploratory major, visited the Broad Ripple Farmers Market last year. 

“The sellers were all so wonderful,” Campbell said. “They were so kind, and they had a variety of options [for food and merchandise] there. They had baked goods, fresh produce, a coffee shop, pizza, burritos, everything you could think of. I haven’t checked it out yet [this year], but I’d love to go again and see if they change anything for the new season.”

3) Newfields Harvest Nights 

At Newfields, popular Harvest Nights is back for the month if October. People can enjoy spooky themed snacks, activities and a walk through the jack-o-lantern path.  

Jassmine Dominguez-Torres, a senior healthcare in business and Spanish double major, attended Harvest Nights two years ago.

“I enjoyed the bright lights,” Dominguez-Torres said. “Especially that night it was pretty dark, and it was a little chilly too. So the fog machines gave a different feel, [and] the ambience was there for sure. I liked seeing the art [and] how they decorate.”

4) See a drive-in movie at Tibbs Drive-In

Indianapolis only has one drive-in theatre, and it is only a 20 minute drive from campus. Getting cozy in a car with a blanket and snacks to watch a movie is the perfect fall time activity, especially if it is a spooky movie. Many new horror movies, such as “Barbarian,” “The Invitation” and “Fall,” will be hitting theatres this fall, often being shown one after another at Tibbs Drive-In.

5) Pick and carve pumpkins

Visiting a pumpkin patch and picking the perfect pumpkin is a classic fall tradition. Everyone has different ideas of what the perfect pumpkin is for them. Once the perfect pumpkin is chosen, carving it is the fun part. Hogan Farms, located in Brownsburg, 15 miles from campus, has a pumpkin patch as well as a challenging corn maze. 

6) Visit haunted houses 

If scary thrills are what you’re looking for, there are several haunted houses around the Indianapolis area. Some of these include Indy Scream Park, Nightmare on Edgewood, Necropolis Underground and The Thirteenth Hour

7) Shop at Spirit Halloween 

Each year, several Spirit Halloween shops pop up in North America. They have everything from basic Halloween costumes to intricate animatronics. Visiting the store is an experience in and of itself. There are several locations around the Indianapolis area. The one nearest to Butler’s campus is on 82nd Street.

8) Do some apple picking at Pleasant View Orchard

Whether they are being used in a pie, a cider or other fall themed treats, apples are a staple fall food, and picking them is the perfect fall activity. 

Abby Fulton, a sophomore political science and peace and conflict studies double major, went to Pleasant View Orchard last fall. Fulton said this orchard had a variety of activities, not just apple picking.

“We got pumpkins and picked apples,” Fulton said. “They had a bunch of little shops [too]. Mainly we just played around, even on the hayride and stuff. You just have to channel your inner kid.”

9) Go to Locally Made: Indy’s Fall Fest

Indianapolis’ very own art fair is free to the public. Along with seeing different artwork from local and regional artists, students can also participate in art activities and food trucks at the event.

10) Go to Irvington Halloween Fest 

During the week of Oct. 22, Irvington Halloween Fest hosts many different spooky events. Some of these events include hearing spooky stories, a family movie night, a Halloween ball and even a seance —  located at several locations in the area.