Letter to the Editor: A message from SGA

The Butler Collegian is committed to sharing diverse viewpoints from across the university and to upholding values of free speech. However, The Collegian does not endorse or promote opinions contained within any letter to the editor.

Fellow Bulldogs – 

It is our absolute pleasure to welcome you to the 2021-2022 academic year. We are thrilled to be back on campus and to serve as your student body president and vice president. We are backed by an excellent team of student leaders who are passionate about making a difference and ensuring that your college experience is as meaningful and fulfilling as possible. We have spent the summer reimaging how the Student Government Association can better fulfill its mission. We hope that you will explore the services offered by SGA and take advantage of the new ways to connect with us. 

Over the next few weeks, SGA will relaunch and add several new student services. These include, but are not limited to, free student headshots, free or reduced-cost transportation with Uber and IndyGo, access to The Wall Street Journal and New York Times and development and advertising assistance for student organizations. 

Additionally, SGA is refocusing on cultivating relationships with the student body. In an effort to do this, the SGA office has been relocated to Atherton Union, Room 100. Feel free to stop by during our office hours to engage with your representatives, ask questions, voice concerns or learn more about how SGA serves you. Additionally, expect to see your representatives out and about engaging with students outside of formal settings. 

To increase SGA’s transparency, we have established a new website that gives students access to an abundance of information at their fingertips. Students are able to view meeting agendas and minutes. Additionally, students can read and provide feedback on executive orders and resolutions prior to their implementation. 

Mental health is of paramount concern for us. We are dedicated to working with the university to reform the crisis response plan and expand mental health training opportunities for the student body. For the first time, SGA will be hosting a mental health symposium. 

We look forward to an excellent year full of growth and innovation. If you are interested in joining SGA and helping to improve the student experience, please visit our website, butlersga.org, and click the “Join SGA” button in the upper right corner. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please reach out to us at sga@butler.edu. And, as always, go dawgs! 

With excitement, 

Will Gigerich ‘22                      Miki Kawahara ‘22

Student Body President          Student Body Vice President